Mountain Project Logo

Breckenridge Rec Center climbing wall- better than a rest day?

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Will be in the vicinity and looking to take a day off skiing. Anyone have opinions about the wall at the Rec Ctr?
Great and worth a visit or just too small/old/badly set?

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

I remember it as very small facility. It's a racquetball court turned into a climbing wall, with one side as a low (6-7 feet) bouldering wall, a small overhanging lead wall at the back. and a vertical lead/toprope section. I don't recall the route setting being very good, although it's been several years since I climbed there. The Summit Climbing Gym in Silverthorne ( summitclimbing.org)would probably offer a better climbing experience, but they seem to be a members only operation, not a commercial climbing gym.

If you don't mind making the drive, Earth Treks in Golden is an excellent gym. Depending on the weather, you just might be able to hook up with a partner for one of the Front Range crags if you put a note on the MP partner finder.

Jon Welchans · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

If you have gear with you and don't mind a little bit of a drive west; mountainproject.com/v/puoux…

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Went to the Breck Rec yesterday.

Definitely better than hanging out in Dillon.

Mark Felker describes it well.
I thought the setting was ok, although reachy and lacking feet.
The holds are showing their age and could use an update.

On the whole, better than I expected.

@ Jon- would love to have gone to Puoux, but not enough time.

@ Mark- Earthtreks is a nice gym, but also too far. Great training area. Hate the wall texture though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Breckenridge Rec Center climbing wall- better t…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started