Mountain Project Logo

2016-17 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

robrun96 Runnells · · Brighton, Colorado · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

The booth creek ice was looking good from the belfry are. I haven't seen that ice form up vary well in the last couple years. The ice on the south side of the highway not doing so good.

Vanilla Drilla From Manila · · Goiter, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 50

Put a trail into black lake today... merry Christmas.

John Peterson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 4,658
Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

Lake City looks great. How long does it take to get there from the front range? Are there many natural flows besides the ice park. Reasonable accommodations?

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50
Mike McNeil wrote:Lake City looks great. How long does it take to get there from the front range? Are there many natural flows besides the ice park. Reasonable accommodations?
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/lake-city/105807262

mountainproject.com/v/lake-…
Craghead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 75
Silverplume Falls, 12-28-16.

Brittle and dinner plating today. The right side was the most well formed which isn't saying much.
Donald Letts · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 149

took the gear for a walk up to loch vale sunday. crystal meth and everything in between looked super thin.

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

anyone been up to look at the flatirons the last couple of days? I;m a bit curious if this current cold snap might be conducive to Silk Road coming in

I work on campus right below the first. Not much was there from what I could tell. The cold and moisture should help I would imagine.

Hayden Webster · · Estes park · Joined May 2016 · Points: 35

Hey guys! Hoping to make a last sec9nd trip to glacier gorge tomorrow in RMNP. anybody know how any of the ice is doing??

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

Jewell Lake ice is in, climbed it yesterday. Everything else is in the avalanche death zone right now. Bring flotation, I am sure our tracks are buried over.

How is jewel lake? I have not done that but am always looking for something new.

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

It is single pitch WI 3., low avy danger. It is a little hard to find if you have not been there, When you cross Jewell Lake look for a track that Goes up the inlet to the Lake, it goes through the woods and takes you through a small boulder field. The climb is above the boulder field.

Dharma Bum wrote:It is single pitch WI 3., low avy danger. It is a little hard to find if you have not been there, When you cross Jewell Lake look for a track that Goes up the inlet to the Lake, it goes through the woods and takes you through a small boulder field. The climb is above the boulder field.
^^^^YES!!
Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

May be the wrong place to ask, but I figured the ice climbers' eyes are here for now...what's the word on decent places to get some TR laps in on the FR? Wife and I are trying to get a bunch of practice without having to drive out to Ouray all the time.

Thegillest · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 60
Nick Andrasik wrote:May be the wrong place to ask, but I figured the ice climbers' eyes are here for now...what's the word on decent places to get some TR laps in on the FR? Wife and I are trying to get a bunch of practice without having to drive out to Ouray all the time.
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/co-ice--mixed/105807296
Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Thegillest wrote: mountainproject.com/v/co-ic…
Thanks - still new to MP and trying to figure it out!
Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Climbed Rigid Designator, Spiral Staircase and The Eraser today. All are in pretty good condition. The Pencil was not in great condition, wet and thin (3 feet at the narrowest) and kept making large cracking noises while we were up there looking at it. The very top of Rigid Designator seemed to have healed some after the recent storm. The fang still looks a long way from touching down, but lots of water flowing on the climbs, hopefully they keep getting fatter. Looking at other areas, Pump House falls is in but guarded by 2-3 feet of recent snowfall. Booth Creek looked like only one climb was clearly touching the ground.

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

IF you were wondering... Early this morning was a no Silk Sunday.
1st pitch intermittent ice, p2 no ice, etc, etc. Very deep snow at base.
Might have even covered 1st bolt! Snow on rock, rock dry under snow!

Cor wrote:IF you were wondering... Early this morning was a no Silk Sunday. 1st pitch intermittent ice, p2 no ice, etc, etc. Very deep snow at base. Might have even covered 1st bolt! Snow on rock, rock dry under snow!
Thanks Cor. I was wondering, but I'm not as big of a bad ass as you unfortunately and didn't want to be the guinea pig.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "2016-17 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started