Mountain Project Logo

El Potrero Chico in April/May

Original Post
simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I'm wondering if anyone has spent time here during these months. Is it too hot to climb? Would I just be drowning myself in beer instead of sending?
Thanks.

Ryan Maitland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

We go down there around Easter just about every year, and the conditions are generally awesome, although on the warmer end of the spectrum (highs in the upper 70s). The campgrounds can get crowded and wild with locals, though, so beware of that.

May is the month where it does start to get pretty hot (highs in 90s), so I'd recommend going as early as you can.

All that aside, I've been in the potrero climbing in just about every month of the year and there's always something to climb. Rain, heat, cold, whatever, you can usually find something to have fun on.

..and drowning yourself in cheap Mexican beer by the Posada pool is not a bad option. The views are incredible.

Ryan

Marcelo Gonzalez · · Monterrey · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 35
simplyput wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has spent time here during these months. Is it too hot to climb? Would I just be drowning myself in beer instead of sending? Thanks.
We Mexicans go to El Potrero Chico all year around, the problem here is the the heat!!. you should always look for walls on the shade. there are more options like Las Animas, La cueva de la Cumbia etc. there are plenty of wáter to swim.

Cheers
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

May will be quite warm, but if you're in the shade and you have a reasonable tolerance for heat you'll be fine. The more pressing concern might be finding partners. I was there in May a few years ago and the place was basically empty. I saw maybe a few climbers a day. On one day I saw no one. That was a few years ago and it may have changed though.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

I went in may a couple years ago and saw one other climbing party the entire time we were there. It was 90-95 and we decided to climb time wave zero the first day. Direct sun just about all day. My gringo ass was burnt to a crisp (decided to forgo a shirt) and my Mexican girlfriend who prides herself on her heat tolerance suffered as well. Stuck to the shade the rest of the trip and it was great.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I've not been that late -- my latest was late March.

It will be warm, but not unclimbable if you are careful. Get up early, climb. Take a siesta during the heat of the day, then climb once again in the evening as things cool off. If likely to be climbing during the heat of the day, look for shade.

Also, don't expect to find climbing partners -- this is an ok plan if you go down there with a partner, but not so likely to find pick-up partners.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "El Potrero Chico in April/May"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started