Mountain Project Logo

belay parka... help me narrow it down

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

I don't have the luxury of visiting retail stores randomly to check things out. My old MH compressor hooded jacket/parka is on its last legs, need a new hooded jacket, same or similar would be great, about a pound weight, primaloft or similar, good coverage, hood over helmet, and less than $150 on sale.I have no idea what brands/models are close these days.

Whaddya like in this category?

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

Over-the-helmet requirement is the biggest limiter in this category I think. I have been very happy with a Rab Xenon (purchased in 2014, looks like it's now the Xenon X but same basic idea).

There's a lot of lightweight 60g-ish primaloft hooded jackets out there, but many (most?) appear to have hoods tailored to be close-fitting and not over a helmet.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

i picked up a La Sportiva down on clearance and am super impressed.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

If you can find anyone selling last years BD stance hoody (the 80gm fill, single layer) on sale they were a steal.

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

I think the old Compressor was a 100g/m^2 jacket. You likely will find the 60g jackets to not be adequately warm (Nanopuff, etc). I'm not aware of any current 100g offereings, but the BD Stance hoody is an 80g jacket, as is the Montbell Thermawrap pro. Either would likely do a good job for you.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

I've got a MH compressor that I've worn maybe 10 times and never climbing I don't believe...if you happen to be interested in a medium blue one go ahead and PM me as I was looking to sell it this winter anyways.

Mark Westfall 1 · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I'm not sure if this is the exact model I have but I have some very similar. Can't beat it at this price: rei.com/rei-garage/product/…

Thanks for the replies.

The Rei link doesn't show any product.

Indeed, I think more like 100g is in order. The micro puffs are too thin ( wife has one)

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

Black Diamond Stance is awesome - I stopped using my compressor after getting a Stance as a gift.

Jack C. wrote:I've got a MH compressor that I've worn maybe 10 times and never climbing I don't believe...if you happen to be interested in a medium blue one go ahead and PM me as I was looking to sell it this winter anyways.
PMed you.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "belay parka... help me narrow it down"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started