Mountain Project Logo

Indian Creek partners and camping beta

Original Post
carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

I'm planning to be in the Moab area mid next week (Tuesday to Friday, 27-29ish). I'm traveling from CA and have never been there but hoping to climb a few cracks. I have personal gear (no rack or rope) but can provide a positive attitude, good jokes, and some beer/chocolate. I have trad experience but not sure what grades I might be able to do there, but down to belay on whatever and try anything!

I'm up for towers too if that's your thing and want a partner (I have multi-pitch experience).

Also, can anyone provide a little beta on camping, preferably free but if not that's cool too, in the area that's accessible with 2wd?

Thanks! Happy holidays!

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

Be prepared for very cold camping. As long as it is not windy, it is climbable in the low 40's on the south facing routes.

Here is a weather link at a weather station about 20 miles NE and about 500 feet higher from IC. It might be windier at IC:

wunderground.com/us/ut/need…

Here is a link for instructions on how to treat the fragile desert enviroment.
Don't walk on the Cryptobiotic Soil- a thick, black crust of a symbiotic colony of fungus, algae and bacteria that is a matrix for plants to grow in. Once you walk in it, it takes hundreds of years to regrow. There will be trails and walk in the bottom of washes and on bare rock.

friendsofindiancreek.wordpr…

Here is a link to a map for camping:

blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/…

Have fun! You will have an amazing experience!

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Depending on how deep the creek is, the cottonwood campground is a great spot

The Creek Pasture campground is also good and is easy to drive into with any vehicle.

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15
KevinCO wrote:The Creek Pasture campground is also good and is easy to drive into with any vehicle.
Yeah I like that spot too but they are making you pay now

Thanks for the links! I definitely would not have know about that symbiotic fungus.

I have a lot of warm clothes/gear so am ok with cold weather, or can get a cheap motel.

If anyone wants to brave the cold and climb let me know!

I wish I could go, but usually try to go in November and early March before the spring break crowd.

If you are at the parking lot for Super Crack Buttress, you could easily connect with a party that will be glad to have you join. Also, you can stop by the campsites and ask to join.

Also, try calling the gear shops in Moab to see if they can help you:

paganclimber.com/moab/

If all else fails, you can explore the Indian ruins and petroglyphs. Newspaper Rock, at the beginning of IC is amazing, and the Needles district of Canyonlands, about 15 miles further up the road shouldn't be missed.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I plan on being in that area for a few days to maybe mountain bike and check out Arches/Canyonlands, will definitely check out those places you mentioned.

I did call a few guides and that's an option, but not quite the same as just meeting some folks and climbing. I'll take my chances with just showing up! Thanks!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Indian Creek partners and camping beta"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.