Mountain Project Logo

Ice climbing if unable to do pullup?

Original Post
El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 70

A friend has expressed interest in taking an ice climbing class with me. However, they are only a beginner climber and cannot do a single pullup. Having never ice climbed before, I don't know how much of a problem that might be. Should they work on building strength first before doing something like this? I don't want to dissuade them, but also don't want them to get shut down.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

It'll be fine.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Push up with your legs and hire an instructor/guide/friend to teach proper technique.

Spooner · · Denver · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 20

Ice climbing is more about standing up with your legs and using your hands for balance at a beginner level. They should be fine just make sure to concentrate on the foot work. And don't over grip your tools! :-)

T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

I strongly believe a lack of peak strength to be a benefit when learning new techniques. Particularly in new skill/macro level events such as learning to climb ice vs learning to mantle off a gaston. This prevents strength compensation for poor technique as we are developing the initial engramatic pathways to complex activities.

just a thought though...

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Yamasuka Guides had a billboard that read "If you can climb a ladder you can ice climb". That's the truth.

El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 70

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

ENGAGE YER GLUTES

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Nick Drake wrote:ENGAGE YER GLUTES
Hell ya!!

Engaging your flutes
Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

I regularly take folks out who have no rock or ice climbing experience, and many of them, I am certain have been incapable of doing a pull-up. Go climbing. Work with your guide and express your concerns and make them aware you are interested in a beginner friendly location.

Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165
Bill Kirby wrote:Yamasuka Guides had a billboard that read "If you can climb a ladder you can ice climb". That's the truth.
That's exactly how I explained it to my knee surgeon when I was asking for clearance to start climbing again. "What if the motions are just like climbing a ladder?"
Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

They are going to get tired.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ice climbing if unable to do pullup?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started