Mountain Project Logo

American Alpine Club accident insurance carrier not covering rock climbing

Original Post
John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 170

While comparing my current accident insurance plan with other options, I read through the details of the policy. It stated that rock climbing and mountain climbing are not covered activities. I decided to confirm this, and was told by Adventure Advocates, AAC's handler of accident insurance "the new accident carrier does not cover rock climbing". I was given a quotation from the carrier, Assurant/Time, "These exclusions include hazardous activities including but not limited to...rock or mountain climbing". FYI. I have the plan that covers skiing and snowboarding, which was very helpful when my wife spiral fractured her leg skiing this year. I'm getting much better primary health insurance so I will probably drop this accident insurance that doesn't cover the very sports that AAC advocates for. I guess if you have this insurance, it's back to claiming a "hiking" accident.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Wow. Thanks for the heads up - that seems pretty bizarre.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

i recently went through something similar when trying to decide what insurance i needed. i have good health care and confirmed with the health care provider that care provided for an injury from climbing, mountaineering, skiing (anything) is covered. this includes emergency heli flights. out of network, the cost is the same as in network if deemed an emergency (this includes breaking a bone), but does not have to be life threatening. i would recommend people confirm what is covered with their health insurance provider before paying for accident insurance.

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

We had an incident this past summer in Peru. The Alpine Club insurance was a major hassle and just about useless. I forgot what all of their rules and requirements were on the phone, but they were cumbersome and impractical. The insurance company doesn't reimburse so they asked us not to pay for anything. That isn't exactly feasible when you're paying the in-hospital pharmacy for the drugs to numb somebody up for stitches or what not in a third world country.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Isn't it designed to help with the air rescue only? The costs of insuring "rock climbing accidents" per se would be unfeasible.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Russ Keane wrote:Isn't it designed to help with the air rescue only? The costs of insuring "rock climbing accidents" per se would be unfeasible.
Yeah, I haven't heard of "accident insurance," just the Global Rescue program. Is there a separate accident insurance? Not sure what accident insurance means.
John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 170

AAC offers accident insurance through a carrier that is not part of your standard AAC membership. See americanalpineclub.org/insu…. They do indicate there that it is for "non-climbing activities". There is a monthly fee. I paid $64 per month for coverage of my wife and I with a $5000 max benefit and $250 deductible.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
John Ryan wrote:AAC offers accident insurance through a carrier that is not part of your standard AAC membership. See americanalpineclub.org/insu…. They do indicate there that it is for "non-climbing activities". There is a monthly fee. I paid $64 per month for coverage of my wife and I with a $5000 max benefit and $250 deductible.
Thanks, John. I perused over that page, navigated to other pages from there and could see almost no benefits. From what I could see, it looks fairly useless to me. But you can get roadside assistance!
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
John Ryan wrote:AAC offers accident insurance through a carrier that is not part of your standard AAC membership. See americanalpineclub.org/insu…. They do indicate there that it is for "non-climbing activities". There is a monthly fee. I paid $64 per month for coverage of my wife and I with a $5000 max benefit and $250 deductible.
These days $5k does not go very far especially for an accident but is better than nothing.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "American Alpine Club accident insurance carrier…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started