Mountain Project Logo

40 m rope question

Original Post
CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

Looking for a shorter 40m DRY rope for trad n sport... my question which rope should I go with?!? Durability size weight?!? Best places to buy it from

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

1. Co-operate with anybody with the same need. Most likely you will find at least one climber in need of new gym rope in the nearest gym.

2. Buy 80m rope and cut it in halves.

I have 2 60m ropes already one is for our top rope setups and one we currently trad with but its burly 10.2. Needs to be dry treated as we brave elements n I'd prefer not to cut a new rope in half

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

What do you want in the rope? Do you need a middle mark, bi pattern? Do you care if it is heavy, skinny?

I like ropes in high 9s for work horse ropes and low 9s for multi-pitch trad. 10+ ropes tend to be too heavy and bulky for me, but I use them as needed.

EMS has some good deals on non-dry ropes at 40m.

I'm looking for a low 9 maybe even smaller mainly for trad n multipitch like I said I have 2 10s 60m that's to big n heavy but a dry treated is a must for me

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

40m?

Are the climbs super short where you are???

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Yeah I'm also not getting the 40m for multipitch trad aspect. Why do you want such a short rope? Seems like it'd make rapping a pain in the ass.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

I also love 20m rappels, seriously though 50m or longer. Why on earth for you want a 40 meter rope for anything but gyms? Are you climbing a bunch of really old school multipitch climbs that are well within your ability? Are you exclusively simul climbing?

90 percent of my climbs at my local climbing area are short if I needed a longer rope for traveling across the country I'll buy one. I'm from Wisconsin n nearest crag is devils lake. 40 m is more than enough like I said I have two longer ropes can can climb with em if I need 60m

CRAG-list-KILLA wrote:90 percent of my climbs at my local climbing area are short if I needed a longer rope for traveling across the country I'll buy one. I'm from Wisconsin n nearest crag is devils lake. 40 m is more than enough like I said I have two longer ropes can can climb with em if I need 60m
Just buy a 50m.
John Wilder wrote: I've been sport climbing on a 40m for about 3 years now. 90% of red rock sport climbs are less than 20m. I love the weight savings and more room in my pack. I currently climb on the Sterling Ion and nano, both are sold in 40m lengths for $160 and $130, respectively. We sell them at our shop, they do well around here.
All those 20m multi pitches though.

Awesome man I'll look into both sterling ropes I know I've seen a dry treated nano before. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll shoot you a message thanks again! And FYI those 20 m rappels don't exist where I climb it's a walk off 95% of the time. Our local crag is against bolting so unless your to lazy to walk off your leaving gear.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60
that guy named seb wrote:I also love 20m rappels, seriously though 50m or longer. Why on earth for you want a 40 meter rope for anything but gyms? Are you climbing a bunch of really old school multipitch climbs that are well within your ability? Are you exclusively simul climbing?
ROFL thinking about love for 20m rappels!

I'd like to jump on the 40m bandwagon- (1) lighter rope for approach (2) excuse for short pitches -(a) less rope drag (b) carry less gear (c) sew it up with no worry of running out of gear (d) no pulling up lots of rope (e) shorter continuous belay time (f) more time hanging out with climbing partner at belay stations.

Instead of 20m rappels- walk off, tag line, or twin/half ropes, for a more enjoyable rappel than even 70m ropes.
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

Gear Express used to carry tons of short ropes under 50m. They seem to be out on their website for whatever reason but you could call and ask if they are getting any soon. As mentioned, Black Diamond makes a 9.9mm in two short versions. Otherwise, the idea of getting an 80m and splitting it with someone might work.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
CRAG-list-KILLA wrote:Looking for a shorter 40m DRY rope for trad n sport... my question which rope should I go with?!? Durability size weight?!? Best places to buy it from
From what I've looked at, you won't be able to find a dry rope in this length unless you buy an 80m and cut it in half. It seems manufacturers assume anything under a 50m is being used indoors as a gym rope and therefore does not need a dry treatment.
Mike Knight · · Detroit, MI · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 55
that guy named seb wrote: Just buy a 50m.
for sure I have a 70 meter and a 50 meter. I use the 50 meter mostly where I climb in the red river gorge. usually works all the climbs I do down there.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "40 m rope question"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.