Mountain Project Logo

Devils lake snow report

Original Post
CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

Kinda wanted to see if you locals will help on snow reports and claimable rock at the lake throughout the winter. Me n my climbing partners are over a 2 hour drive and would love to be able to know what areas are climbable as winter progresses. Can't really take time off of work to travel south and I can't just not climb. If it's not windy as all hell and we have sun I'd like to get out and climb

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Where do you live killa?

Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185

can you say Climbing gym.... what rock do you want to "claim"? or try ice climbing...

oh, BTW, it's pretty snowed in at DL right now with crazy cold coming soon

:)

I live about 40 mins south of Milwaukee almost straight west of Racine but I was just wondering if we could make or keep tabs on rock that could be workable. I've never ice climbed so I don't have the gear to do so. Although it does look like a blast! But on another note one of the best days I've had climbing at the lake was a high of 35 with overcast and a steady wind, was cold belaying and climbing the rock but when ur hands started to get stiff I just stuck them in the chalk bag full of hand warmers. Also we have both adventure rocks pewaukee and Milwaukee about the same distance from my house(about 40 min) but honestly gym climbing kinda blows and would rather drive the extra distance to the lake. Like I said I'm not trying to claim anyone's rock but I don't think I can make it all winter ;)

Jan van den Handel II · · Waukesha, WI · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 50

Crag, any Friday that looks good to you weather wise I'm in! Send me a txt.

Three days a week at the gym and seven days a week looking at the route finder has me itching to get to the lake.

I don't think I will make it!! Waiting three months without even trying to get to the lake to climb:(

I like it I still have your number n my buddy is in as well it's just a huge gamble making the trip totally in the dark if anything is or can be climbable n plus the last few times I've been at the lake we just started trad climbing everything no top rope back up no placing gear and sporting it, that shit is exhilarating!!!This winter shit sucks!!! It wouldn't be as bad but like I said the last few times there have been pretty epic and climbing to me has never been the same since! Hopefully some of you guys can help keep us posted and help us get out!!

joeker · · Madison · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 5

I plan on CX skiing around the lake several times throughout the winter. I'd be happy to post updates/photos of some of the more popular areas and routes.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

You're nuts, dude. Go skiing.

Take up ice climbing dude.

I do wanna take ice climbing but the equipment is expensive and I don't wanna have to hire a guide to learn the tricks of the trade but hopefully I'll be able to get to the lake in the next few weeks and see what's good

Attend an ice fest. The gear to rent is cheap and so is the instruction for your first time compared to buying it and hiring a guide.

Thanks man I didn't know you could do that, I'll look into it

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 4,220

Just had one of the best days breaking trail on back country skis at DL in the deepish snow. It was pretty much a white out most of the day.

Brian Seegers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

It's not that crazy seeing as the weather's supposed to be back in the 30s this week. If I'm up there I'll happily post something about the conditions on here.

Weeks just can't go by fast enough... :/

Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165

How's the snow coverage up there this week? Anyone have any info?

I'm thinking of coming up from Chicago tomorrow for an NYE mock alpine run up Turks Head. Kinda hoping for some snow on route.

Boots did you ever make it out there?!? Hows the lake looking hopefully I'll get up next weekend weather from now till then pending got this itch that's getting worse and worse everyday

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I was there over the weekend; most of the snow was ankle deep. The part of the Ice Age Trail I was on was ice and pretty shallow snow.

I'm glad I had gaiters when I was off trail, but A++ would recommend.

Terry Kieck · · Baraboo · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 170

I climbed yesterday at Balanced rock wall and it was really nice. The first half of the trail was very icy and then it cleared up. No snow at all on the wall or top. I would suspect most of the east bluff would be the same. I ran the west bluff trail New years Eve day and the top to cliffs i checked on that side (SOGC area, north slope, Cleo's area) were snow covered. Doesn't get as much sun as the east bluff.

Baraboo did get a lot of freezing rain last night (all area schools are closed today). When this happens the walls can get covered with ice. The next few days are going to get very cold so the ice might be here for a while. Single digit temps until friday and then a high of 14 Saturday.

Hopefully I can get out and check the conditions later in the week.

FYI - Kahtoola MICROspikes are a awesome for hiking and trail running this time of year. kahtoola.com/product/micros…

Awesome man thanks for the info it's nice to go up there totally blind this time of the year

Terry Kieck · · Baraboo · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 170

the east bluff rock faces are clear of snow and ice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Devils lake snow report"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started