Mountain Project Logo

How does one learn the local customs?

Original Post
Jeff Lee · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Is there a page with general guidelines on what to do in certain conditions? I always hear "locals prefer this to that," but I don't know where people learn these things. Is it more word of mouth and unwritten?

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Ask

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Also learn the secret handshake.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

The first rule of local customs is we don't talk about tribal territorial-ism.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

What is a "local custom"? Any examples?

I think if you are a decent person, considerate of others, don't litter or climb on sandstone right after a rain, you're good to go. Don't bring your aggressive dog to the crag, keep the music to yourself, and don't hog routes...you're covered.

Edit: I could see "local customs" as it pertains to putting up bolted routes, such as ground up, or rap-drilling, or what is considered a squeeze job.

Nate Sydnor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,398

I think that is a marvelous question Jeff, and the community would be better off if more folks were similarly curious. You can often find some info for local guidelines in the initial page for the area. There are also the wet rock indicators in places like Moab and Vegas, for instance.

Asking "local" folks is always a great start as well, although there are often varying opinions on certain subjects. Guide services and local gear stores can be great resources. Additionally, and this is one that all climbers would benefit from, it is good to consume as much climbing literature as you can get your hands on. Study the history of ethics in climbing, get old climbing magazines and read every page. Basically, just educate yourself as much as possible. You'll be surprised how much is out there. I feel like I recall a thread or two here on MP about good climbing books to read.

Lastly, and this is a big one, my grandfather always said that common sense is the lease common of all the senses.

Thanks for posing the question, and good luck out there. If you're ever in the Moab/Canyonlands region and have any specific questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How does one learn the local customs? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started