Mountain Project Logo

Mystery gear ?!

Original Post
verticon · · Europe · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 25

The front two cams in the picture are made by Outland Climbing Equipment, but what about the other two pieces ?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

The one in the back is a Perrin stopper. As seen here:
mountainproject.com/v/10878…

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

You might have better luck posting here:
Old Mystery Pro

Jason Todd wrote:You might have better luck posting here: Old Mystery Pro
I have a Supertopo account, but for some reason I wasn't able to post a reply on that thread...

I did some research and the second cam from the back is a #0 Tech Cad (two fixed, two moving cams) made in the '90 by a British company named Faces Designs on Mountains (Matlock)

So, I have a Mammut Perrin adjustable nut, a Tech Cad and two Outland Three Cam Units :)

ACR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

Sorry, late to the party I guess...
I think you're information is accurate. The #0 Tech Cad unit is interesting. A lot of configurations were tried out before a common theme on cam lobes, cramming angle, and general performance emerged. I had never heard it called "tech cad" but I know the company and the general time frame they were made. Maybe Stephane Pennequin will chime in on some dates.
I could probably look it up but all my research archives are currently on a ship about half way across the Pacific Ocean headed back to the US.

I would love to see more old gear questions here on the MP forum. I know a few of the other collectors and archivists post here as well as on ST.

Vertical Archaeology

ACR wrote:The #0 Tech Cad unit is interesting. A lot of configurations were tried out before a common theme on cam lobes, cramming angle, and general performance emerged. I had never heard it called "tech cad" but I know the company and the general time frame they were made.Vertical Archaeology
The picture in the OP was the one I've got from the seller, but now I received the whole lot (for about $25...) and I'm super excited!
The most intriguing piece is the #0 CAD (as written on the stem), which looks like the love child of a Bergsport Joker with a Quadcam HB Wales. Do you have any more information on this baby ?

nutstory · · Ajaccio, Corsica, FR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15
Faces Designs on Mountains: 1s, Tech Cads, Three Cam Cads, Four Cam Cads.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Mystery gear ?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started