Mountain Project Logo

Pictures from the Golden Age of BoCan Ice?

Original Post
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

I was browsing around the Boulder Canyon page under CO Ice & Mixed just now and getting a kick out of the pictures from back before they clamped down on ice farming.

But, I quickly ran out of photos to salivate over, and so I'm creating this thread as a place to post up any additional photos ya'll might have resting on a hard drive somewhere from back in the Golden Age of BoCan ice for those of us who didn't get to experience it to feast our eyes on.

bump

Photos? Anyone?

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Ha, those are some cool pics, I forgot about that ice. I wish I had some pics other than what's in my head from 15 years ago...

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

I believe part one of Jeff's classic instructional video is all Bocan. Part II is Vail.

Cameron M. Burns ice climbing guide I think has some great B&Ws too before the pipe was plugged.

youtube.com/watch?v=nDujpX7…

http://www.climbingolder.net/~stacy.bender/Boulder_Canyon_Ice.html

I don't remember seeing anything above the ramp...well for as long as i can remember.

Ice Ice

Bad ass Scott! Hadn't ever seen pt 1 of Lowe's video!

The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:Bad ass Scott! Hadn't ever seen pt 1 of Lowe's video!
Wish the idea to build an ice park here worked out. maybe someday!
Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Scott McMahon wrote: Wish the idea to build an ice park here worked out. maybe someday!
It's Boulder so good luck with that. Probably some endangered lice up there that fell of one of the hippies...
Stagg54 wrote: It's Boulder so good luck with that. Probably some endangered lice up there that fell of one of the hippies...
I believe that the company holding the idea back is based in Golden
Thegillest · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 60

Glad to see this thread... But sad to say that from my knowledge, that the last remaining ice forming leaks have been repaired. There was a large crew with a mini excavator up on the pipeline cut in Jan/Feb 2016. The way they looked at me clad with crampons and tools was not supportive lol. I'm not sure what else they could have been doing up there besides stealing our fun! Let's hope it is just a fluke... but all the climbs are bone dry. As a 20yr old boulder climber who only got 2 seasons in my local ice area, I am deeply disappointed. Maybe some day they will let the ice flow. But thanks to our water laws... somebody's gotta pay for it. Thanks Blueprint and Scott! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gives a hoot!

Damn..that makes me sad to hear. I mean what's a little drip with all that water gonna hurt? Climbing is part of boulder legacy!

But what can you expect from a city that wanted to outlaw beer pong. I mean...come the F on!

Thegillest wrote:Glad to see this thread... But sad to say that from my knowledge, that the last remaining ice forming leaks have been repaired. There was a large crew with a mini excavator up on the pipeline cut in Jan/Feb 2016. The way they looked at me clad with crampons and tools was not supportive lol. I'm not sure what else they could have been doing up there besides stealing our fun! Let's hope it is just a fluke... but all the climbs are bone dry. As a 20yr old boulder climber who only got 2 seasons in my local ice area, I am deeply disappointed. Maybe some day they will let the ice flow. But thanks to our water laws... somebody's gotta pay for it. Thanks Blueprint and Scott! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gives a hoot!
They also did further work this summer, I was climbing at the Elephant Buttresses and ended up getting flooded with water (drowned our rope and rack and ended our day) as they cleared stoppages further up the line, I mentioned to them that they could post on this forum to warn folks they would be working on the pipe in the future and they literally just ignored me and walked away.
Thegillest · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 60

Community needs to get on board! Lets build a parking lot, get a handful of farmed routes going... Do that and I'm willing to bet Nederland will see revenue from climbers. A ski resort AND an ice park 10 min away makes Ned that much more appealing (tourism wise). But what do I know. I just like ice. Make boulder canyon great again!

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
Thegillest wrote:But thanks to our water laws... somebody's gotta pay for it.
That's not at all how our laws work.
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Just trying to sort out which ditch is which online.

I think the ditch at Elephant Buttress is the Silver Lake ditch. Maybe still privately owned. And I'm pretty sure they don't have to tell anybody anything when they choose to work on it. Even if it goes through your backyard.

I think the other pipeline, which was the source of the ice climbs, is the Barker pipeline, which supplies water to the city of Boulder power station. There may be some complicated legal reason why the city can't sell any of the water to climbers for farming. Or it may just be typical Boulder BS.

If you climb hard enough ;-)

Mark E Dixon wrote:Just trying to sort out which ditch is which online. I think the ditch at Elephant Buttress is the Silver Lake ditch. Maybe still privately owned. And I'm pretty sure they don't have to tell anybody anything when they choose to work on it.
Yeah, totally didn't think they had to, but I mean, it would be a nice thing to do and take little time or effort. They could have just said no, but just straight walking away after giving me an unwanted shower was kind of a dick move imho. And I wasn't acting heated about it or anything.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Pictures from the Golden Age of BoCan Ice?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started