Mountain Project Logo

Where to donate for 2016?

Original Post
John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

Hey, a company I work with is offering to match up to $500 I donate in 2016. So I would like to give $1000 to some place with these considerations in mind:

1) Has to be a registered nonprofit
2) Would love it to be climbing related
3) Prefer something with a Colorado focus

The Access Fund is an obvious choice and I've given to them many times before, but looking for other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Here's a good one that benefits climbers nationwide:

safeclimbing.org/

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Boulder Climbing Community

boulderclimbers.org/

Frank's suggestion of the ASCA is a good one too, esp if you clip bolts.

Christopher Roberts · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 80

I have had good interactions with Boulder Climbing Community.
boulderclimbers.org/
Action Committee Eldorado a good local Boulder group.
aceeldo.org/

Thanks for your generosity!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Christopher Roberts wrote:Thanks for your generosity!
+1!
curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

Consider making a donation to your local mountain search and rescue team. All of the ones in our area are non-profit organizations staffed by volunteers :)

rockymountainrescue.org/

alpinerescueteam.org/

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

If you join the Access Fund as a member with your donation at that Level you can stipulate a 'joint membership' with the BCC and then 40% of the money goes locally to the BCC with the remainder going to the AF. Thing is that your 'match' from your employer will not divide as such if htye just write a check in, or at least so I presume, as it is not a 'membership.'

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

It would be great if you would consider Ouray Mountain Rescue Team (OMRT) in your year-end charitable contribution: ouraymountainrescue.com/

OMRT is a Section 501(c)3 non-profit organization with a TaxID 75-2158092. Thanks!

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Given the political atmosphere, I suspect our public lands will need require more hard work to protect in the near future. Consider giving to an organization that works to protect our public lands from people who want to sell them to the highest bidder. Otherwise, I'd go with local SAR

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

BCC or CAIC are both good choices for climbing and BC skiing. I just hope your match is easier than mine. Took almost 4 months for the BCC donation.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

As a front ranger climber, mine (& my employer's match) is going to the BCC, although I'd renewed to a AF+BCC membership earlier this year. Not sure I can/should ask my employer to match the latter.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Parker Wrozek wrote:BCC or CAIC are both good choices for climbing and BC skiing. I just hope your match is easier than mine. Took almost 4 months for the BCC donation.
Sounds like BCC = Boulder Climbing Community + ????

I think there is some confusion here.
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
avalanche.state.co.us/donate/

Sorry for the confusion. If you ski at all in the BC donations here are appreciated.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Challenge Aspen works with a variety of disabled youth and ex miltary for skiing, climbing , rafting etc

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

It is not climbing related, but if you are interested in helping out a local non-profit that supports siblings of children with life threatening illness' you could donate to Heartfelt Hugs. The girl who started it is a total sweetheart and given its very small size, every dollar is huge!

Here is a message from the founder (only 14 years old):

We are so excited about 2017 and because Heartfelt Hugs has gotten so much TV publicity lately, we have some very special sponsorships which make it so we can afford to have these events every two months! The BIG news is that I met with a doctor this month and he is doing a 2/1 match which means that for every $1 someone donates, he will give an additional $2! So, if anyone you know is interested in supporting Heartfelt Hugs, please send them to this link.

heartfelthugs2015.weebly.co…

All donations are tax deductible and help me so much. I am only 14 and have to do all my own fundraising so every penny helps! THANK YOU! Here is a link to a TV interview I had with Denise Plante on Colorado and Company about HEARTFELT HUGS!

youtube.com/watch?v=II6dQnu…

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

Just to follow up on this: I ended up choosing BCC. I had never heard of them, so thanks to all in this thread who brought our attention to them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Where to donate for 2016?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started