Mountain Project Logo

Helping my wife with technique

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Kevin MP wrote:Here's another recommendation to go rock climbing. You said you go hiking together so it seems reasonable. It's great that you found climbing in the gym, but the real thing is worlds better--it's an experience you can share rather than just a workout. When you go climb rock at a beginner level, whether it's 5.7 routes or V0 boulder problems, those differences in ability that manifest themselves on overhanging V3 plastic will mostly disappear. Because most things you will climb outside will be slabs or just vertical, the emphasis shifts to footwork, balance and technique rather than upper body strength, so the gap in your abilities will be smaller and you will be able to learn together. Most improvement in technique will come with lots of mileage and variety-there's no shortcut to learning how your body moves. When my partner and I met we were both beginner climbers and went through the learning process together and spent years slowly progressing and working our way through the grades, having incredible adventures all along the way. Eventually my abilities (and motivation) exceeded hers. Sometimes this would cause stress as I projected my drive onto her but I have (mostly) learned to let her be and only offer help when asked. We have a good balance now, when we go cragging we each climb things we want to do, and when we climb long routes we find a middle ground of difficulty that works for both of us. Climbing with your significant other creates challenges since you communicate differently than you would with anyone else, but for me it's completely worth it to share my favorite thing with that person. The path to rock is totally attainable if you're interested and might look something like this: -Take classes at your gym for toprope and then ideally lead climbing if available. Focus more on systems and technique than strength. -Since it's winter, you have a few months to develop your skills indoors and do some research...plan a few weekend trips to nearby destinations like the Gunks, the New or Red, Seneca, etc. in the coming year. Read up on protection and anchors. -Hire a guide at one or more of these locations! The best way to learn and make the most of your time. -After this if you are still keen, get a rope and basic toprope setup. If you're adventurous, get a small rack of slings, nuts and cams and find the easiest things you can (<5.6) and go. -Climbing is serious. Ask questions about the systems you are trusting your life with. Never stop learning. Don't die. OR -Get a bouldering pad and beanie. -Find a guidebook for bouldering areas near you. -Go for it bro!
Outside, she might really enjoy low traverses. Her smaller hands and feet could really shine at walking a wall! You might even find some overhanging traverses, where core strength, not just upper body, gets you there.

Helen
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Helping my wife with technique"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started