Mountain Project Logo

Good use for old 'biners!

Original Post
David Heerschap · · Lander, WY · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 215

Got bored in the shop and decided to mill down and repurpose some old 'biners that were beyond their useful life. I couldn't stand to throw them out because they've got history! Had some scrap aluminum sitting around and voila! - New key/coat racks! Made a couple of single hooks and a triple. Also experimented with open and shut gates. Really strong!

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Looks good amigo. How much you want for one? I'll even send you biners.

Scott Baird · · Hagerstown, MD · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 110

Looks awesome!!!! You thinking of selling?

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156

I'd buy! also could one of these be the new MP logo?

I guess I was sort of wondering if there might be a market for these. Really looks good on the wall. I figure that there are probably plenty of folks that have retired gear and would rather turn it into a rad looking piece of decor than throw it out. I've been playing around with different brush finishes and mill/tooling patterns and think the mountains look pretty cool as a base plate. Could do anything really, single, double, triple carabiners, whatever - but maybe not the MP logo as I'm not running a CNC, just old school manual mill! Could shoot me an email if you're interested.?.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

How do you get the gates to stay open? They would be kind of annoying if you had to open the biner each time. Also snag-free biners are gonna work better.

Eli - I drill a 1/16" hole when open near the pivot and drive a pin. Good ideas though- I could easily mill off the snag on the nose to keep stuff from catching. I could see keeping the gates functional for a keyrack, pinned for a coat rack. Fun to make!

ClimBaja - Exactly. Drill and tap being careful not to go all the way through. Panhead machine screws through the spine.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

Looks great! I bet you'd sell a ton to climb shops and etsi.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Very cool and original. Those would sell like hot cakes! Especially during the holidays.

Kyle Edmondson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 250

Looks ok, but not sure this is an original idea. I swear I've seen these in the physics room at my school. Seems like that teacher was spending more time fiddling with toys than teaching, but what are you gonna do about it? Anyway, I might buy a few off of you to hang gear on up at the Golf wall. These do mount outside, right?

Heck yes Kyle! Always fiddling with shiny trinkets! And yes, would be totally solid bolted to the wall outside!! At least you'd know where your keys were!

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

How much are you charging?

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156
David Heerschap wrote: but maybe not the MP logo as I'm not running a CNC.
I just meant use the outline as a logo, not make an actual logo. I just think this looks cooler than the new logo, with the outline of mountains and biners on the front.

If you supply the clips I think I could do them for $25/30 single, $40 double (approx 7" wide), and $55 triple (12" wide) + shipping. Aluminum isn't cheap these days and I am just about out of scrap. I would have to charge extra if I supplied the clips (waaay cooler if it's your nostalgic gear though). Also have to know if you'd like the gates pinned or not. The double and triple would have the mountain background and singles would be triangular plates or the mtn plate. Designs would vary and each one would be unique as I am operating an old school manual mill and free-handing the individual finish.

Forgot to mention it's 3/16" plate the clips are mounted on, not sheet metal, so very strong!

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90

That is bad ass! Nice work! I'll take 3 triples. Where do I ship my biners to?

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'll give you the shipping address to send the old 'biners to. Here are a coupla pics of the double, a mountainy version of the single, and the full lineup.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Those biners look to be in pretty good shape for being "beyond their useful life".

Marc - yes, some of these clips are burnt out pretty bad (deep notches from perma-draws on local routes) but some are from the first batch of gear I ever picked up and aren't toasted that bad. I've have long since upgraded to better hardware but can't stand to part with 1st gen (for me) stuff. The biners don't have to be shralped, most will work - even lockers and wire gates.

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930
David Heerschap wrote:Got bored in the shop and decided to mill down and repurpose some old 'biners that were beyond their useful life. I couldn't stand to throw them out because they've got history! Had some scrap aluminum sitting around and voila! - New key/coat racks! Made a couple of single hooks and a triple. Also experimented with open and shut gates. Really strong!
Sweet looking work! Sent you an email David.

Bill
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Good use for old 'biners!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started