Mountain Project Logo

catskills ice this sunday (12/11)?

Original Post
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Temps have been hovering around freezing all week, and the forecast is showing below freezing for the rest of the weekend w/below 20 overnight.

Anybody think there's any chance of ice coming in? I was thinking some of the ravines in kaaterskill or maybe some areas to the west. Worth the time to chase some ice this weekend?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I hiked up to Hillyer Falls yesterday. It's often the first spot to come into shape. There's NOTHING up there. I don't mean "nothing worth climbing" or "nothing that'll take a screw". I mean, no ice at all, just wet rock. Unless you want to work on your drytooling, you'll be wasting a trip.

damn i was hoping hillyer would have something there. guess i won't be looking for ice.

I saw a few pictures of Kaaterskill Falls on Instagram with a decent amount of spray ice. I realize the falls are a different story but they have me very curious about the ravines. I'm going to check them out tomorrow. Probably bringing gear and top rope kit for the hell of it. PM me if interested in joining.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I was in the Kaat Falls amphitheater today. No, there's nothing "in". But the good news is that ice is building VERY rapidly everywhere.

Was that your black SUV (I wanna say Toyota FJ) at Asbestos/BMF lot today?

Edit - We got our season going on this smear

THIN smear on toprope, but hey, we're CLIMBING ICE

No sir I'm in a Subaru. Hillyer was about the same. Thin stuff that I certainly wouldn't have tried climbing. Maybe next weekend (which of course I'm out of town for)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "catskills ice this sunday (12/11)?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started