Mountain Project Logo

Lower Devil's access/conditions?

Original Post
BAd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 130

Hey, Arizona climbers:

There's a chance my wife and I might get out there this winter, temps and weather depending. What's the situation? I've got a lot of info. form Mtn. Proj, but wonder about the road. We travel with a 2wd Tundra hauling a fairly light pop-up A-frame travel trailer. Could we get this to the end of the 2wd section of the road? Is there room for turning around and camping? We might have to wait until next year, but damn, that place is beautiful.

Our rig:

Thanks!

BAd Climber
Curt Shannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

On the bright side, Lower Devil's is the only place you probably can't drive to. Atlantis, the Pond, Oak Flat, Upper Devil's, Eurodog, etc. are all easily accessible.

Curt

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, looks like camping above and driving in is the best way to go. We've got good ground clearance and power on the Tundra, so we should be fine.

Any guidebooks?

BAd

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161

Marty Karabin's fold-out guide is available at the Phoenix Rock Gym and some other local stores for $5. If you have trouble finding a copy in time let me know via PM.

J A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 45

Walk down the hill before you commit to driving it. Rocks in the road as big as a churn.

Definitely check out The Mine area while you are here. It is accessed via the paved road and a 5-10 minute walk. It is very underrated in my opinion.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130
BAd wrote:Thanks, everyone. Yeah, looks like camping above and driving in is the best way to go. We've got good ground clearance and power on the Tundra, so we should be fine. Any guidebooks? BAd
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0965397475/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1481214586&sr=8-1

This has everything! The fold out Marty maps are pretty good as well and more up to date.

Okay, from my earlier reading on MP, there is a 2wd section and a 4wd section. Are you saying that the WHOLE thing is now 4wd? I have no problem walking a couple of miles, but if it's now six or eight miles round trip, then that does change things.

Hah. The guidebook is only 20 years out of date and available for a cool $74!

Curt Shannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5
BAd wrote:Hah. The guidebook is only 20 years out of date and available for a cool $74!
Well, keep looking. I just picked up a like-new copy for $19.

Curt
BAd wrote:Okay, from my earlier reading on MP, there is a 2wd section and a 4wd section. Are you saying that the WHOLE thing is now 4wd? I have no problem walking a couple of miles, but if it's now six or eight miles round trip, then that does change things. Hah. The guidebook is only 20 years out of date and available for a cool $74!
Unless the road has significantly changed, a moderate clearance 2WD vehicle would have no trouble getting pretty far in. You could then hike the rest of the way to the climbing. Someone please correct me if this is now out of date.

Thanks, Marcy. This sounds like what I've read before. No, I'd never block the road. Let me look over the stuff on MP, and I'll get back to you if I have questions.

Thanks again!

Cory Tallman · · San Tan Valley, Arizona · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 135

The hill and switchbacks aren't that bad if you're used to that type of driving. I drove all the way out to Lower Devils and back in a stock height F150, and I don't recall ever using the 4wd. The road was pretty sketchy, especially at night, but not something that can't be accomplished by going slow and taking your time. I would say that you should park about a quarter mile before the road actually ends if you decide to drive out there. The last stretch up to the canyon is more Jeep trail than anything, but it's only a ten minutes walk from there. And it goes without saying that whatever you do, don't try to pull your camper up the big hill. I would probably recommend camping closer to Oak Flat or Upper Devils, and driving to Lower when you want to climb.

Thanks, Cory. If we get out there this year, we'll camp at Oak Flat to start and do a recon for our first climbing day to see if we'll move camp closer in. I'm hoping for a few warm winter days. We'll see!

Scott

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Lower Devil's access/conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started