Mountain Project Logo

belay glasses 3D printed

Original Post
Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790

Not my design, the pic is of a pair I printed though.

Currently has pieces of a CD for mirrors, it works, can stair at ceiling in rainbow colors haha.

thingiverse.com/thing:890467

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

That is way rad man!

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Bumping this because this is awesome! Going to try this with the public libraries 3D printer!

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

Mirrors will make everything upside down.
That's why belay glasses come with prisms.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
rocknice2 wrote:Mirrors will make everything upside down. That's why belay glasses come with prisms.
Yep, just what I was going to say. Mirrors won't work for belay glasses, you've got to use prisms.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
kennoyce wrote: Yep, just what I was going to say. Mirrors won't work for belay glasses, you've got to use prisms.
Yup, you just wasted time and plastic.

If you want to build a DIY set, try this: Duct tape your smartphone to the top of your helmet, camera facing straight up. Then send the video signal to one of those snazzy new VR headsets.

It wouldn't be hard to change the design to accept prisms, I made belay glasses by taking the prisms out of a $5 pair of these

TV Glasses

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790

Matt Stroebel
that is what I think I am going to do, the TV glasses have been on my radar for a while. The important thing is that the mounting surfaces are dead parallel which is the advantage of having this made by a computer. got any pics of yours Matt?

Plastic is super cheap $20 for 5lbs and the only time I spend making a pair is hitting file>print soooo thanks for hating on it.

Again not my design just though I would share because these are commonly a thing of interest, especially cheap ones.

I have a come and go neck injury so these make belays a little easier.

I made sure they were dead parallel by taping the prisms to a popsicle stick, then gluing them to the glasses. Removed the popsicle stick once the glue dried.

I think besides the prism change, the only thing you'd really need to change about the design is the folding mechanism for the arms. The problem with the pair I made is that they don't fit in a case, which makes them a pain to bring with you to the crag.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "belay glasses 3D printed"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started