Mountain Project Logo

Do you stick clip? Why or why not?

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
will ar wrote: Looks cool, but am personally looking for something with a bit more length. How sturdy is it?
climbing friend,

that is what she would be saying!!!!

ho ho ho ha ha!
NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Ain't no bolt too high.

assist clip

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55

I'm thinking flying both domestic and international (Kalymos maybe)? Can you fly with a 4" one?

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

I have the longer one, and can fit it into a REI wheelie beast/large duffel, so yes, easy to fly with

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
anotherclimber wrote:The length you need will depend where you climb.
Exactly. Sure, there's the issue of fitting the collapsed length in luggage or vehicles, but a max length of 10' or 12' simply isn't going to work as expected in a lot of areas. A few areas where I climb have the first bolts at 15 or 18 feet.

I got my painter's pole at Home Depot. It's range is 6'- 20'. I recall once having to stand on tip-toes to clip the first bolt with the pole fully extended, and I'm 6' tall.

For the business end, I used to use the Trango Squid but replaced it with a Superclip a couple of years ago.
BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790
Marc801 wrote: Exactly. Sure, there's the issue of fitting the collapsed length in luggage or vehicles, but a max length of 10' or 12' simply isn't going to work as expected in a lot of areas. A few areas where I climb have the first bolts at 15 or 18 feet. I got my painter's pole at Home Depot. It's range is 6'- 20'. I recall once having to stand on tip-toes to clip the first bolt with the pole fully extended, and I'm 6' tall. For the business end, I used to use the Trango Squid but replaced it with a Superclip a couple of years ago.
Absolutely. At the New River Gorge, there are a fairly large number of routes that have extremely high first bolts - as well as other routes that more or less require the 2nd bolt clipped to prevent likely injury. A 20 foot pole is a smart choice, especially for some of the sport routes that will not take gear before the high first bolt.

Its also useful for bypassing rotten bolts on some routes, especially ones that are submerged during summer months.
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

I had a squid on a painters pole but gave it away.
I liked the squid, quite versatile, but hated carrying the pole around.
trango.com/p-245-squid-the-…

Now I have an Epic stick and like it. 9 foot extendible pole which folds to 18 inches, so fits easily in my pack.
The clip part is finicky with some carabiners and it's hard to use it to clip the rope to a draw that is already in situ.
epicsport.com/products.400.…

A friend has one of the Trango beta sticks. The extra reach is nice, the clip part is easier to use and seems to work with all biners. Not sure how it works on in situ clips. 12 foot extendible pole which folds to 32 inches. Which unfortunately is just too long for my pack. The last segment is kind of fragile too, so you need to be careful if you need the entire 12 feet. Plus expensive.
trango.com/p-266-beta-stick…

Mark E Dixon wrote:12 foot extendible pole which folds to 32 inches. Which unfortunately is just too long for my pack.
Wait. Are you putting the stick inside your pack?
Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55
Marc801 wrote: Wait. Are you putting the stick inside your pack?
I will be packing it into my checked luggage somehow when flying so size does matter to me - also better not be too fragile - airlines aren't gentle on things.
Marc801 wrote: Wait. Are you putting the stick inside your pack?
Yep.
I don't like carrying the painters poles. The beta stick can fit on the outside, but catches on low branches. I might be willing to deal with that if they didn't cost >$100..
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Mark E Dixon wrote: Yep. I don't like carrying the painters poles. The beta stick can fit on the outside, but catches on low branches. I might be willing to deal with that if they didn't cost >$100..
Ever thought of using a thick tent pole?
that guy named seb wrote: Ever thought of using a thick tent pole?
I'm sure that would work fine.
I chose to indulge and spend $30 on the epic.
But $100 was just more than I could justify.
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

I got my beta stick for 59 from backcountry with a coupon. I really use it for flights only, otherwise it's the 15' painter pole from Home Depot. Makes a good walking stick.

Dustin Stotser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 371

You can make a great stick clip for less than $30. Go to a hardware store, buy a painters pole, a 5" spring clamp, and 2 hose clamps big enough to secure the spring clamp to the end of the pole. It's a little ugly but far superior to many commercial stick clips especially the damn Squid.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Dustin Stotser wrote:You can make a great stick clip for less than $30. Go to a hardware store, buy a painters pole, a 5" spring clamp, and 2 hose clamps big enough to secure the spring clamp to the end of the pole. It's a little ugly but far superior to many commercial stick clips especially the damn Squid.
The Squid sucks. It is easy to break and I can get it to work with some biners only
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

This thread is SILLY stuff. Climb better you won't need one.

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 741

I've only ever needed one where falling before reaching the first bolt could result in major injury. I prefer the superclip, can install a draw, put the rope up on preexisting draws and ever remove a draw.

Jeff constine wrote:This thread is SILLY stuff. Climb better you won't need one.
I guess that's why Sharma, Caldwell, Ondra, and a long list of others have used stick clips.

Seriously, read the numerous threads on stick clips and why they exist. What you wrote is the truly silly statement, borne of ignorance.
sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60
Jeff constine wrote:This thread is SILLY stuff. Climb better you won't need one.
People find it more fun to climb at a level slightly higher than they can 100% send, i.e. challenging = fun.
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
Ana Tine wrote: People find it more fun to climb at a level slightly higher than they can 100% send, i.e. challenging = fun.
Whatever Stick clip = you did not ruck up. It's already bolted, man up and climb.
This new gen of is funny with sticks instead of balls.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Sport Climbing
Post a Reply to "Do you stick clip? Why or why not?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.