Mountain Project Logo

Who has actually flagged a post?

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Nick's plea for a tone change seems to have gone haywire even in his own thread.

This got me wondering who actually flags posts.

I have theory that all the easily offended lurkers are also too timid to actually take the step of flagging anyone.

Which leaves borderline jerks like myself and a few others (Hi Tony!) to do it. And I can tell you, my standards are pretty low- I'll let a lot of nonsense through before I get the pitchfork out.

Maybe if MP starting awarding points for flagging we could get somewhere.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Mark E Dixon wrote:. Maybe if MP starting awarding points for flagging we could get somewhere.
HA!
I flag, and i vote.
Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161

I have flagged a couple of spam posts. I usually just sit back and watch the other stuff though.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

sort of a related question - if you have one of your own posts flagged, is there some sort of email/message that you receive to let you know you have been flagged?

i haven't ever flagged any posts. i guess i haven't really ever thought to do so for some reason. honestly, i forgot that there is even a flagging option.

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

I've flagged a few of Ellenore's more egregious posts. I feel like I did the MP community a service when I did. I've also flagged a few spam posts.

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410

I have flagged 4-5 over the years. One that was blatantly racist, one that was throwing a lot of unfounded crap at a severely injured climber (that was a Hellenore post), and a couple that were just really mean, unnecessary personal attacks for no apparent reason.

I try to provide strong rationale for why I am flagging. I also think I have a pretty high tolerance and don't take too much of what goes on here overly seriously.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

I've flagged some spam as well. Maybe one or two jerky/homophobic/racist kind of things too, not sure.

I've WANTED to flag some things that I couldn't flag, namely comments (mostly pretty aggressively sexist stuff) attached to photographs of women on this site. That capability doesn't exist on on the site (as far as I can see), something I suggested to the admins that they should consider adding.

I think some of the "microaggressions" stuff talked about recently is a little hypersensitive, but there are numerous comments attached to photos on this site that are just straight up obnoxious. A woman browsing MP and seeing those comments could definitely be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that this site wasn't for her, and I'd think that the admins would want to be notified when such comments are posted.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I have. Spam bots

If you start awarding points all that will left are the in crowd.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

I've flagged spam and a few comments that used gay slurs.

I had one post flagged on me for being a jerk. I was a bit harsh on a self-professed noob giving somewhat dangerous advice from a place of ignorance and bravado.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648

I've flagged a few spam posts, but nothing ever due to the "tone" of a post.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Normally just spam, but I've flagged a couple especially derogatory posts too.

JSH wrote:Optomistic -- about comments attached to photos, if you add a comment yourself, an area admin should see it (we are notified for each new entry, comment, pic, etc. in our area) and deal with it pretty quickly. I have done this as an admin. Or you can just send a PM to the area admin.
Ok thanks JSH, will do, although I think it'd still be better to have a flag button...
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I've flagged a very few, but I've posted in the same thread and stated that I flagged their post, and why. Obviously wouldn't bother with the spam bots (conversation, I mean), usually someone else beats me to it.

I have also "flagged" myself, in a sense, and deleted my own post.

Helen

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

People who need safe spaces have. And thats about it.

BigNobody wrote:People who need safe spaces have. And thats about it.
Personally when I consider flagging something it's because I know it's going to be offensive to someone else. My personal demographic (and yours, maybe?) is almost never harassed. I think the goal of this website is to bring climbers together to learn and teach, and if people are afraid they'll be harassed if they speak, then we miss out on what they have to say.
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Flogging is great. I try to do it at least twice per week. But it is best done in the bedroom. Shit. Am I going to get flagged.

Points for flagging seems over the top for something so subjective.

Personally, I don't give a rats ass what some jackass says on the Internet. I can easily skim over junk posts and read what I want to read. To me it is a waste of my time to go tattle tail on someone that might have hurt someone else's feelings. Who am I to judge what offends other people. And I've been around here long enough to see familiar names and know who is worthwhile reading.

If you feel like flagging someone, including me, send a PM instead.

Edit to add. I remember when the flag button came about. I believe it was when very heated debates with people that actually knew each other like Bob D and Tony B. As Mike Lane pointed out in another thread, these were great times on mp. These debates were passionate and highly charged. Unfortunately, mp is trying for the soft and safe.

BigNobody wrote:People who need safe spaces have. And thats about it.
Ah. Stand to the side and just watch when the knives come out? Sorry. I've even jumped into the real thing.

Helen

Greg D, I agree on the pm, but that might be asking a lot of it's a personal attack.

Agree on no points, too.

OLH

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I just flagged this thread for questioning the authority of admin!! J/k ;)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Although I've flagged a few posts (mostly spam), it still feels like tattletaling. "I'm telling on you. You're going to be in trouble."

Some people seem to wield it like a club. "Watch it, buddy, or I'll flag you."

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

I flag spam, and that's about it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Who has actually flagged a post?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started