Mountain Project Logo

Nice Ice ice Tower NOW OPEN! Moved to Monee, IL 45 min South of Chicago... Chicago Ice Tower

Original Post
Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185

www.ChicagoIceTower.com

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Hmm...while I normally hate it when people post advertisements on the forums, this is actually rather enticing, as I've been wanting to try ice climbing but am not sure whether I can make it to the ice fests, and this is just an hour outside of Chicago. Good to know!

We look forward to seeing you Ted....

:)

Mike Blisz · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 384

See you up there, Joel! Looking forward to starting on ice this year :D

Mikeyy wrote:See you up there, Joel! Looking forward to starting on ice this year :D
U 2! :)
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Any idea when the season will start?

Anthony O. · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 145

Didn't think I'd ever have a reason to bring my ice tools from CO to IL! My in-laws are just down the road in Manhattan!

Ted Pinson wrote:Any idea when the season will start?
We are watching the forecast closely though we never really know when it will start. Cold is coming later this week though it may be short lived. We need a good cold 5-7 days to farm the ice we need.

Keep hoping for cold everyone!

It's on! Ice is building very Nice! More COLD to come early next week! This is after 12 hrs....

Ice update

Ice on both the tower and the Fang is doing well. The COLD next week will at least double the sizes!

Climbing will be open this coming week...watch for details or post up if you want to join us....

The Fang and tower

Fat ice!

First climbs TODAY at Noon....

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Oh yeahh,,,Great first day of ice. Just got home off the ice half an hour ago. Sweet start to the season for sure. Wasn't sure if those auto belays would work in this cold, but they were fine.

first day of season

start for 16-17 ice season here in IL.

Anthony O. wrote:Didn't think I'd ever have a reason to bring my ice tools from CO to IL! My in-laws are just down the road in Manhattan!
Yes, we've been 'farming' ice here for about 6 winters now. This is our newest location and first attempt on a portable rock wall with auto belays on it. Do check us out,,we are right down Manhattan-Monee Road about 20 minutes from where you will be.

Great night climbing tonight

Lit up ice

Juggler wrote:Great night climbing tonight
Is that all from just the rope lights in the ice, or big light outside aimed on it too?
Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Thumbs up guys for getting after it again and the first ice for the season!

jon jugenheimer wrote:Thumbs up guys for getting after it again and the first ice for the season!
We are greedy ice fuks who never let a cold spell go by without spraying water all over some rigid, erect, upright object that can take the cold and weight of an ice tower plus some slammin' tool action too. Night climbs are just awesome too, to enjoy for a couple hours after work without driving out somewhere in the wilderness.
Such a nice set up this year. Trade off is the tower is not as tall as the old silo was, but we gain with a real home to go into for warming, gearing up, a bathroom instead of a frozen chemical toilet to squat over, and if enough booze is put to use,,a huge hot tub for after ice relaxation. Can't lose,,plus the autobelays let your belayer choose from climbing right along side of you or staying inside to keep warm.! Down below zero here by Thursday morning!

Ice UPdate-

https://youtu.be/BSAObk5YIOA

the awesomeness of evening ice climbing under the lights is beyond words. Fun in the snow storm tonight too....Looks like a comet is about to run into our ice in this pic.

Comfy night of fun ice routes. Open tomorrow and much of next week in afternoons and evenings.

Now THIS was really fun tonight! Superb weather, just cold enough to keep it interesting. We truly are spoiled with the auto belays, the good ice, plenty of adult beverages as needed, and a warm house and warm indoor toilet only 30 ft away this season. Hope the 40's and warm rain on Sunday don't ruin the ice too bad.

About 11PM tonight.

Yes, we would be ice sluts 24 hours a day if we could.

Yes, it did rain alot here last couple days, and overnight temps were in the 50's. I'll do a recon pic soon on ice conditions in next couple days. Closed up right now due to family-holiday engagements taking up our time to be available. BUT Juggler and I did get out late on Friday night to climb/'model' our bad holiday sweater outfits on ice. Enjoy.

2 ice fools in their best holiday garb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Nice Ice ice Tower NOW OPEN! Moved to Monee, IL…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started