Mountain Project Logo

The deadly ATC

Original Post
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

much like the PAS thong, do not be utilizing the deadly ATC.

climbing.com/news/unbelayva…

"Use an assisted braking belay device.

Even if you follow all the previous points, something could happen to your belayer. The outdoors are unpredictable. Things can go wrong. Assisted braking belay devices, such as the Grigri, add an extra measure of security in those scenarios. If your belayer is knocked out by rock fall while using a tube-style belay device, you are off belay. If they're using an assisted-braking device, though they are not designed to be used hands-free, it may still lock up and hold the rope. Insist that your partner use an assisted-braking device to stack the deck in your favor."

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Beat you to it, AND I even referenced you. ;)
mountainproject.com/v/60-gr…

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

GriGri's have their own issues, or rather, belayers using GriGri's seem to be more likely to not have good solid belaying technique. It's important to ask, do we see more climbers decking when an ATC is in use versus a GriGri?

Anecdotal evidence is not a substitute for statistical studies.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Honnold

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

The plueral of anecdote is not data.

But please, continue with the popularity contest.

climbing friend,

you may use assisted braking device with someone who is not, how you say, "asshat," and you would be practicing the maximum safety!

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

They have airbags for cyclists and skiers. Time to get them for climbers.

climbing friend,

do you perhaps utilize the PAS thong?

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845
rging wrote:They have airbags for cyclists and skiers. Time to get them for climbers.
There are plenty of airbags in the online forums... Especially where it comes to preaching about the gear they prefer.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Fueco wrote: There are plenty of airbags in the online forums... Especially where it comes to preaching about the gear they prefer.
Bada-bing!
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
George Wu wrote:GriGri's have their own issues, or rather, belayers using GriGri's seem to be more likely to not have good solid belaying technique. It's important to ask, do we see more climbers decking when an ATC is in use versus a GriGri? Anecdotal evidence is not a substitute for statistical studies.
Not going to take the time to look it up, but I believe that both Jim Titt and Bearbreader have posted numberous links to data by the DAV in Germany which shows that there is a much higher accident rate with an ATC vs a GriGri.
Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

they have airbags for cyclists?

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

I heard that before dropping her, he said "Hands up, no belay" in protest of the archaic ATC being thrust upon him by an older generation of white male climbers who insist on returning to the dark days of the hip belay.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Fashions as a neck warmer, too

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Aleks Zebastian wrote:climbing friend, much like the PAS thong, do not be utilizing the deadly ATC. climbing.com/news/unbelayva… "Use an assisted braking belay device. Even if you follow all the previous points, something could happen to your belayer. The outdoors are unpredictable. Things can go wrong. Assisted braking belay devices, such as the Grigri, add an extra measure of security in those scenarios. If your belayer is knocked out by rock fall while using a tube-style belay device, you are off belay. If they're using an assisted-braking device, though they are not designed to be used hands-free, it may still lock up and hold the rope. Insist that your partner use an assisted-braking device to stack the deck in your favor."
im disappointed. this post didnt come off nearly as... ethnic? as your normal post. we need more talk of the climbing rocks and neck meat.
Fueco wrote: There are plenty of airbags in the online forums... Especially where it comes to preaching about the gear they prefer.
I don't often laugh out loud but when I do it's almost always caused by a MP thread gone wild.
Jake Jones wrote: Yep. There's an airbag helmet.
You don't know about the Hoveding? Then you are missing out on what will surely be the next big thing in climbing. We will all look back on the days where it was possible to get hurt with great awe.

Helmets for cool people only
George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62
kennoyce wrote: Not going to take the time to look it up, but I believe that both Jim Titt and Bearbreader have posted numberous links to data by the DAV in Germany which shows that there is a much higher accident rate with an ATC vs a GriGri.
Hmm, thanks! That's actually good to know.
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
kennoyce wrote: Not going to take the time to look it up, but I believe that both Jim Titt and Bearbreader have posted numberous links to data by the DAV in Germany which shows that there is a much higher accident rate with an ATC vs a GriGri.
Yea but that same data showed the lowest accident rate for belaying with a Munter so...
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Of course. How many newbs do you know use a munter?

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Nathanael wrote: Yea but that same data showed the lowest accident rate for belaying with a Munter so...
Which totally makes sense since generally speaking, people belaying with a munter have been climbing a long time and tend to know what they are doing. It's generally the noobs that are dropping people, regardless of the device used, and I've never seen a noob belaying with a munter.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The deadly ATC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started