Mountain Project Logo

Picture resolution loss

Original Post
Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

I'm not sure when the app updated and places like black dead space around images on pages but it seems like it has severely cut image resolution vrs viewing on the main site / mobile version of the site.

Max you can zoom on the app
--- Invalid image id: 112359822 ---

Same image but on the mobile site

--- Invalid image id: 112359825 ---

I also tried the "Download area images" but it didn't seem to make it any better.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

The app hasn't changed in many months (we're starting on an entirely new codebase), so it shouldn't have changed recently.

It should be a pretty good quality image though - it uses the same file that is used on the web's photo page. The app MIGHT be hanging on to a low-res version of the image it got when you had a bad signal. The only way to know would be to delete the app entirely and re-install it...

Sorry for the hassle!

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105
Nick Wilder wrote: The only way to know would be to delete the app entirely and re-install it... Sorry for the hassle!
Maybe deleting just the one area and re-downloading it would work then, rather than reinstalling the whole app?

That might work, but deleting an area may not remove cached image files all the time.

Deleted the app , then redownloaded it , same result .... thought maybe it was an IOS thing , DLed it on my other phone (android) same resolution issue. I mean he image is still serviceable but a lot of the stuff I upload I really take advantage pushing the limits of the 1500x2000 pixel limit , seems like it's being compressed down into the app or something

Can you post a link to one of the problem photos? I'd like to take a look. Thanks.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

Thanks Nick

The one I used as an example is

mountainproject.com/v/11032…

Also

mountainproject.com/v/11210…

Which is a more recent photo which has seemingly the same issue

The problem in the first case is that the photo is fat (short height compared to wide width), which makes it not work in the app very well.

The second photo just has high detail and very fine writing, so it's not so good in the app.

In the next version of the app (that we're working on now), we'll reconsider getting the higher-res photo in the app. That does take more space on the phone, so we'd probably have to make it optional.

Yeah I figured it was something along those lines . I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem in the way I was uploading causeing the issue. On some of my photos I've been able to make things big and bold but sometime the crag / photo just isn't accommodating. Thanks again for the investigation.

A full HD download would be phenomenal even as a option.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Picture resolution loss "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started