Mountain Project Logo

Possible to climb in Flagstaff in Dec/Jan?

Original Post
Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Are there crags or boulders that are consistently climbable in the winter? I will be passing through late Dec or early Jan and would love to check out the rock, either Priest Draw, The Pit or any other amazing crag. Will have my partner with me so not just trying to snag a belay, but would love to having a local along though.

Timothy Carlson · · NorCal · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

The Pit faces South, and thus sees sun all year. I've found that it is usually climbable in temps as low as the 40's. Priest Draw should be fine, being that it is all roofs, and thus the problems stay dry. I can't really vouch for the road leading there, as snow and ice may inundate it. Again, use caution with the temps. It gets pretty cold here in Northern AZ.

If you are interested in some multipitch trad fun, you might wanna drive 45 min. south and check out Sedona. It is much warmer down there due to being at a lower elevation. However, there is a good bit of choss to be found so wait a few days if a winter storm decides to pass through, as you'll be breaking holds left and right. Sport climbing is definitely not the featured attraction in Sedona, but it does house the Planetarium which hosts some beautiful, mostly harder sport climbing. If you prefer bouldering, the Anvils is a nice option. Beware the creek crossing on the approach! It's gnarly any time of year.

If you want some climbing similar to what's found at the red, check out Oak Creek Canyon. Also located South of Flagstaff and at a lower elevation, the canyon sees temps similar to Sedona. The sandstone in Oak Creek is the closest I've found to the sandstone at the Red.

Most of the climbing in Flagstaff will be too cold/wet/icy to attempt this time of year, but there is plenty to be found nearby.

Regardless, remember to have fun!

Eric D · · Gnarnia · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 235

Upper solitude canyon - south facing sporting climbing at altitude. Surprisingly warm when it's cold in town. A winter crag. Short distance from Flag plus approach.

The Asylum - Only climbable on very cold days. Bakes in the sun. 1:30 drive from Flagstaff. limestone sport.

Planetarium - super fun sport climbing in Sedona. Sun in the afternoon.

Waterfall - best trad crag in the country though you'll need a warm day. 35 minutes from Flag, plus approach.

Sedona multipitch - the best choss-pile you'll never want to climb again.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

Thanks for the info!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Possible to climb in Flagstaff in Dec/Jan?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.