Mountain Project Logo

60' Ground fall belayer drop

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
climbing.com/news/unbelayva…

As much as we love to obsess over Grigri failure stories, the truth is that this is much more common (and likely). As Aleks would say: the Deadly ATC. Still pretty incredible that the belayer just flat out dropped her, rock fall or no, and quite clearly user error, but still something that could have been avoided with a Grigri.
Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,974

"My helmet may have saved my life." Good call putting a lid on your brain.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Not sure if the use of the word 'belayer' in the title of this thread is quite right.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Healyje wrote:Not sure if the use of the word 'belayer' in the title of this thread is quite right.
"active observer" maybe? lol

Yeah, not enough belaying was going on to warrant getting into a discussion of devices.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

The discussion should be about taking caution with partners you don't know not belay devices.

I still remember going on an internet blind date and the guy dismissively saying "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't safe!". He was referring to the rap station at the top of Chouinard's Right. It was one piece of ratty and sun baked cord.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

I'm callin BS on 60'
Said "just started leading trad in spring...
Climbed 60' of a 5.8 crack with 5 pieces of gear"

I bet it was a max of 30-35' up.

J Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 50

This discussion is still about defending devices from the 1950s.I evaluate my partners all the time. If they use an ATC they're not very well-versed at sport climbing and are not to be trusted. I also evaluate people I'm driving with, and if they cut the seatbelts out of their car to make it more exciting and keep you paying attention I tend to not ride with them either.Cue Haley's weird video of a hip belay from the 1980s

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10
jleining wrote:I'm callin BS on 60' Said "just started leading trad in spring... Climbed 60' of a 5.8 crack with 5 pieces of gear" I bet it was a max of 30-35' up.
Quick flip through the area shows that there's plenty of routes high enough and in the grade range to fit...

mountainproject.com/v/quant…

A bit runout, yeah. Especially down low. But if they're confident on 'casual' terrain, not unheard of by any means.

I bet people will take issue with the part where Corrigan insists that everyone use a Gri or similar.
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

"Starbuck Cliff. It used to be an ice climbing area, "
Until the uninformed choose to call it a moderate easy access rock climbing zone.
Look at the pictures that sort of ice, means the rock is under a constant destabilizing pressure.
effected by the freeze / thaw cycle in a way that produces changing soundness / quality.
Out doors is not the gym,
Sounds like a pile of garbage rock.
Don't climb on chossy cliffs where ice forms,
Especially with no concept of what one is doing.

I have only ripped the one quote, there were at least three other glaring things.
Like dropping or throwing, the " bomber hold" at the misplaced belayer.

Belayers should be at the base of the climb, in close. So if some thing comes down it falls away from not at the belay.

Standing and stepping back into the line of fire helmet or not is asking to get hit.

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

I don't know what 8820 joules of energy feels like but sounds like a lot. I guessed at height and weight for the calculation and no friction from rope being in ATC.

angio.net/personal/climb/sp…

I guess that means is should be 8820 J/m

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

it probably feels like a typical night at the cheesecake factory.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420
J Q wrote:This discussion is still about defending devices from the 1950s.
There were no belay devices in the 1950s.

And people reliably belayed with no device at all...

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
Blakevan wrote:I don't know what 8820 joules of energy feels like but sounds like a lot.
Get a 1 ton weight and drop it onto something from 1 meter high. Ask whatever you dropped it on how it feels, and that's roughly your answer.
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

To add to what Mark said, munters, sticht plates, figure 8's, and hip belays were still common in the 80's and early 90's. The GriGri was released in 1991.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
J Q wrote: If they use an ATC they're not very well-versed at sport climbing and are not to be trusted.
I have a partner who uses an ATC all the time and he climbs 5.13 sport. He doesent want to pay $100 for a Gri, so he uses a $20 ATC. I use the ATC on occasion if I forgot which shoe I put my GriGri in and I'm too lazy to go looking for it. I know of several other examples of experienced climbers who use the ATC on a regular basis. The device is far less important than the person using it. You can catch pretty much any single-pitch fall on any belay device.
Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Technically the term "belayer" should be substituted with something like "a person had been pretending to be belayer".

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

I find articles that use the words "natural instincts took over" mildly amusing. Find a partner without natural instincts.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266
rging wrote:I find articles that use the words "natural instincts took over" mildly amusing. Find a partner without natural instincts.
That is the part of the story that is unclear. If he threw a rock at his belayer's head and the belayer was knocked out, same outcome. Are we supposed to find fault with the belayer here?
rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

If someone through a rock at my head from 50 feet away I would take a step to the left.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "60' Ground fall belayer drop"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started