Mountain Project Logo

New MP logo

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

After hundreds of iterations and several consultations with the site admins, we've updated our logo. This is the first step in a year-long overhaul of the site that will include many new features, a mobile-responsive design, and all new code.

The old logo (and code) lasted about 12 years, during which MP grew at least 2,000%. That was a great run... but it's not remotely up to modern standards.

New MP logo

khalifornia · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Foxy lookin gal!

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

New logo does not look good at small scale. Not an improvement, IMO.

Comanche Mckee · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

Looks like a girl falling off a mountain? and why is it a girl? Please go over the discussion you had with the MP team when you made these decisions

We heard the rumor that you had "ties" with Shelma...guess we didnt realize it went this deep

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

I too think the old logo looked much better. The little person thing looks stupid. New font is ok I guess.

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
Comanche wrote:Please go over the discussion you had with the MP team when you made these decisions
Entitled much? They could change the logo to a stylized pic of your mom climbing 4th class and still wouldn't owe you an explanation...
Daniel Kaye · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,938

I think, out of all the new logos, the 'powder project' one if the most succesfull - the cropped snowflake with the background mountain works out quite well.

I gotta say, I think the 'mountain project' one is the least successful - the girl icon is just kinda floating, her scale and position don't really relate to anything. The 'hiking' and 'walking' ones are ok, they seem to fit nicely within the right mountain. The MTB isn't the greatest either.

But the climbing girl seems a bit too detailed... I think the old logos worked much better. I'm not sure where the hexagon comes from. Before it was a mountain, or a figure inside a mountain, but located nicely at the top of the bottom curve. Now it's a figure inside a mountain inside a hexagon...

Looking forward to the other new site features & improvements though. Thanks for your hard work.

Also, reminds me of the old Metro Rock logo in Boston, but much less successful.

Old Metro Rock Logo

TJ Brumme · · Marrakech · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,648

Why weren't the MP forum members engaged in any surveys or polls to help find a new logo?

Comanche Mckee · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10
Boissal wrote: Entitled much? They could change the logo to a stylized pic of your mom climbing 4th class and still wouldn't owe you an explanation...
Yeah I am entitled to an explanation, because it is the 21st century.

It is a shit-ass logo. The rest of the upgrade looks good, but the logo sucks.

Not gonna lie, the mom burn made me laugh.
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

WHY DON'T THE PEOPLE WHO PROVIDE THE FREE SERVICE THAT I'M NOT FORCED TO USE CONSULT ME ON EVERY DECISION THEY EVER MAKE AND THEN OFFER EXPLANATIONS TO EACH OF MY COUNTLESS COMPLAINTS ABOUT THEIR DECISIONS?!?!?!?! IS THIS AMERICA OR COMMUNIST RUSSIA??

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161

I don't really like the new logo, but who cares?

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Good job!

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

I don't think Nick was really asking for opinions, but I personally will miss the old logo. This wont effect any usage of the site in anyway but its a small bummer to me.

Norville Rogers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 5

The new logo captures failure and emasculation. Very on point with my climbing record. keep it up!

Tara Storter · · Eagle River, AK · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 510

She's falling off the mountain. For god's sake - it's the one thing we try to avoid - So let's make a logo out of it. Geez.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

As i'm still a noob to this site i can't exactly say much but i really must ask why the need of rebranding, it's only been 12 years for christ sake.
Also just noticed, doesn't even have a chalk bag, it's only you know the thing every single climber brings with them regardless of the style (unless it's aid). But hey who needs such obvious things when it's new...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Hey Nick, just wanted to add you've been great. Thanks for all the work you've put into the site!

Helen

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I don't actually remember what the old logo looked like.

SkyB · · PDX, OR · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Falling!

Matthew Carpenter · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 413
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
matt carpenter wrote: Southern Nevada Climbers Coalition
a much better logo
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "New MP logo"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.