Mountain Project Logo

Who are these people.

Original Post
paddyrock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 80

Genuinely i am shocked by some of these video. Whipper at 2min on desert sandstone. wtf
youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-GYMC…

Ben Pontecorvo · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 155

If you are referring to the sandstone one at 2:07 that is my friend I am holding the rope.

The very next whipper on sandstone is actually not that surprising- the rock on that route gets super soft at the end. I have ripped gear on that pitch- what screwed that guy is it looked like the one good piece in the upper section back-clipped.

Looks like someone made a compilation of R and I weekend wingers. I would agree with you that they use a lot of videos of people doing unsafe stupid shit for content.

Anyone enlighten me on what the second rope is going in the very last whipper?

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
paddyrock wrote:Genuinely i am shocked by some of these video.
Dont be. That stuff is Wednesday at most local crags. Today I witnessed a guy belay a girl up a 70' tall route with the sideplate on his GriGri open.
Jonathan D · · Calgary, Alberta · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

Thanks for sharing. I think that there are a few clips here that are great teaching illustrations for new lead belayers regarding hard versus soft catches. That is valuable. I think there is even one that shows the belayer pulling back to make the catch even harder.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
JDinCalgary wrote:Thanks for sharing. I think that there are a few clips here that are great teaching illustrations for new lead belayers regarding hard versus soft catches. That is valuable. I think there is even one that shows the belayer pulling back to make the catch even harder.
I guess you have never tried to prevent someone from decking a ledge among many other circumstances where you might not want a "soft" catch. If you think you should always step into the fall and make it "soft" then you are mistaken or only climb 5.12 and above over hung sport routes.
jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

my favorite one is the boulderer cratering @ 4:35!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

""Anyone enlighten me on what the second rope is going in the very last whipper?""

Double rope.

""my favorite one is the boulderer cratering @ 4:35!""

A good spot.... the lost art.

Thanks for positing this.

Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105
jleining wrote:my favorite one is the boulderer cratering @ 4:35!
Yeah, that mat isn't doing squat for you at that height.
Even if the guy hadn't moved it out of the way a few seconds earlier.
Ouch.
Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945

I feel pretty bad for these folks... you guys really need to get some instruction both in spotting and in belaying. Much of this is unacceptable and would be grounds to never fuckin climb with any of you again. The only decent catch was the big one filmed with a camera stuck to the rock which was clearly planned out and fake as hell.

The belayer that's laughing as his climber takes a huge whipper and crashes kinda hard due to shitty belaying or the spotter who watches his friend deck hard. This is really messed up imo. Stop climbing and get some instruction.

Logan Fuzzo · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 437

@3:20 is the reason all climbers, even sport climbers, ought to be wearing helmets. my 2cents

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Seth Jones wrote: Who are you talking to? Some of the catches in the vid were fine considering the situation. Of course, some of them sucked but a soft catch is not always best.
After I watched the video I felt the same way. Some really bad belays, some adequate, and some good. Some bad ones were really bad though.
Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945
Seth Jones wrote: Who are you talking to? Some of the catches in the vid were fine considering the situation. Of course, some of them sucked but a soft catch is not always best.
HA i thought the poster was the videographer/friend of the climbers... ya a few were decent like the one that was planned...
BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

at 5:15. No shoes must have felt great on that landing.

Let the bodies hit the floor!!!!

paddyrock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 80
Benjamin Pontecorvo wrote:If you are referring to the sandstone one at 2:07 that is my friend I am holding the rope. The very next whipper on sandstone is actually not that surprising- the rock on that route gets super soft at the end. I have ripped gear on that pitch- what screwed that guy is it looked like the one good piece in the upper section back-clipped. Looks like someone made a compilation of R and I weekend wingers. I would agree with you that they use a lot of videos of people doing unsafe stupid shit for content. Anyone enlighten me on what the second rope is going in the very last whipper?
Wow Benjamin. This is my biggest fear on sand stone. I have heard of this happening but never saw the actual results. Lucky that piece at the end held.

\The ice climber at 3.53 who splashes into the water is my favorite. While watching i cringed while he placed both his tools beside each other on at least three occasions before they finally blew. GUMBY

I always get the sense that when i watch these videos i am watching an event that really screws up this persons health for quite along time. Iv had pulled pulley tendons disrupt my climbing for months. Cant imagine the recovery process that some of these guys had to go through.
M Kilts · · Ogden, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 45

This is a frightening video! my palms started sweating

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Looks good to me. I doubt any of my fall looked more graceful

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Who are these people. "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.