Mountain Project Logo

I f*cken hate offwidths

Original Post
Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

My knees love getting stuck in cracks. What's your worse OW experience?

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

I used to wrestle in high school, I like OW's. Nothing like blue collar work to make you feel like ya done good.

Last time I had fun in the wyde was some chicken wing sh*t at woodson (locals only**), couldn't get off the ground. Gregs crack I think?

Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105

I love the wide too and I used to wrestle.. maybe the suffering from wrestling trained me to love that shit.. though on an O.W In the gunks once it was really humid so my body slipped out.. however the skin that used to be on my back and shoulder stayed in.. The bloody t shirt looked cool though.

chase martin · · Denver CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 75

fell off of ¨crack a beer¨ (5.10) foot slipped while I had a bomber fist jam, ended up in the ER with a dislocated/fractured wrist.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Moving an inch at the time, ignoring bloody dots appearing on my heavy canvas pants, dragging along my number five, it doesn't fit, tipped out. I see a thin crack in the back of the offwidth, jam myself tight because of that 20+ foot run-out and reach for C3s, Fuck, I'm sitting on them in the crack...

Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55
Luc wrote:Moving an inch at the time, ignoring bloody dots appearing on my heavy canvas pants, dragging along my number five, it doesn't fit, tipped out. I see a thin crack in the back of the offwidth, jam myself tight because of that 20+ foot run-out and reach for C3s, Fuck, I'm sitting on them in the crack...
Sitting on the cam is better than the cam sitting inside your partners pack 80 feet below...
Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

my 1st off width experience was the kor-ingalls on castleton. not to bad for my 1st OW experience with only a lost chalk bag. that was only mid oct. cant wait to try some more.

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

Invalid^^^ Kor-Ingalls has holds

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
BigNobody wrote:Invalid^^^ Kor-Ingalls has holds
That was my first chimney experience. It kicked my ass. You must be gifted, for we are not.
frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

Friends don't let friends climb offwidths.

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Another former wrestler and fan of OW. Whoa, Gdavis. Too much beta BRAJ.. locals ONLY .. smh

Are tights required for OW climbing too?

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Fernando Cal wrote: Sitting on the cam is better than the cam sitting inside your partners pack 80 feet below...
HA! Put a line up this year i called "5 Below", because, you guessed it. I took off with my #3's and 4's and left the #5 on the ground. As i ran out the 40' of perfect #5 (well, #6 really) i kept looking down at the #5 100' below. What the heck, it was only easy dirty 5.9. And we all know what OW 5.9 is like, eh?
I hate OW, and search for it. Love/hate. Swear i'll stay away, collect big gear for those long ones.
Ugh.
Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

@fernando cal

Sometimes to keep our big bawls from getting stuck in the crack

Mark Dalen · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,002

Chingando ...

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Fernando Cal wrote:Are tights required for OW climbing too?
Carharts.

My favorite off width story was last year on Backbone Ridge of Dragontail. A good #5-6 offwidth pitch in a corner. It was going to be my lead, but when my partner got to the belay he was so excited and wide eyed that I let him take the rack. I got both of our packs ready to haul. He led it and went to throw me rope to haul the bags, he didn't realize how long the pitch had been. He was still tied in and throwing a bight of rope, it wasn't getting to me. Another party was behind us and had just arrived at the belay, I muttered some explatives about blue collar climbing and told my partner to put me on. I climbed the pitch clean wearing my pack and with his dangling off my belay loop. I don't think I've ever grunted so much in my life.

mountainproject.com/v/11007…
Logan Fuzzo · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 437

Former Wrestler, I also had an offwidth phase... funny, I think I did better against the rock than the freakin' highschool kids. Must have been the fear of falling that made me push harder? Although, with offwidth, you can just push the big cam ahead of you, its like being on top rope the whole time.

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10
Paul Hutton wrote: That was my first chimney experience. It kicked my ass. You must be gifted, for we are not.
Nope, just can look for holds thats all.
CCChanceR Ronemus · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 130

@Loganator, you're on top rope until you cartwheel kick your number 6 out of the crack while whipping out of an inversion like I did this weekend on Brother From Another Planet...

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
CCChanceR wrote:@Loganator, you're on top rope until you cartwheel kick your number 6 out of the crack while whipping out of an inversion like I did this weekend on Brother From Another Planet...
Oh, i want vid of that shit, whatta RIDE!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "I f*cken hate offwidths"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started