Mountain Project Logo

Top Mountaineering Boot Choice

Original Post
Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Looking to get into some Mountaineering this season, and would like some advice as far as a good boot goes. They're pricey just like everything else that has to do with climbing but I know with price generally comes quality so I don't mind dishing out some $$ for something that will last. I've looked at a few reviews and I'm leaning towards a La Sportiva boot. Just would like to hear some opinions. Salewa brand caught my eye as well.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

La Sportiva is a great bet, the boot itself is a bit more specific. For general mountaineering the Trango Cube, Nepal Cube, and the Batura are all awesome. I actually have all 3 of those boots. The Nepal is probably the best all around boot of the 3, while the Trango is better on rock and the Batura is warmer.

Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 207

I'd recommend something with both rear and front bail spots (for automatic/step-in crampons) and a full shank. It'll be less comfy for approach hikes, although you get used to it, but it'll remain a viable boot as you get into steeper and more technical climbs.

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Thanks I'm going to head to a local shop with a few different types to try from and then see if anyone has my size on here for a decent price.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

You need to better describe by what you mean by mountaineering. That could mean a winter stroll up a hill like Mt. Washington to summer run up Mt. Rainer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Top Mountaineering Boot Choice"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started