Mountain Project Logo

Jetboil Stoves?...(climbing related-ish?)

Original Post
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

So I'm noticing several vendors online and elsewhere arent carrying the standard "Flash" model of the Jetboil these days, but, instead, the "Zip"...(lightweight and smaller)

Is the Zip basically phasing out the standard Flash model or is it possibly nothing more than the flash's popularity being simply a "sold out" factor being I'm not seeing it pop up here and there?

I'm just wanting to switch up my stove to a Jetboil and doing a little research beforehand.

Alan Ream · · Lafayette CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 5,405

Get the one with the regulator for low temps. I have had both and the feature is worth it. I have the Sol.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0
Alan Ream wrote:Get the one with the regulator for low temps. I have had both and the feature is worth it. I have the Sol.
I have both variants but I wouldn't worry *too* much about the regulator version. My understanding is that regulators such as the jetboil one help keep the gas flow more constant by having a small spring assembly inside that increases the aperture size as the canister pressure drops. You're still bound by the same physical limitation as the cheaper non-regulated stoves - when its cold - or you've just been running the stove for a while, you hit the problem of the canister getting too cold for a decent amount of fuel to evaporate. Obviously keeping the canister warm enough solves the problem (but not too warm least you cause a...situation).

I don't use the flash/sol pots I have, they're too small. The sumo on the other hand is a great size.
r m wrote: I have both variants but I wouldn't worry *too* much about the regulator version. My understanding is that regulators such as the jetboil one help keep the gas flow more constant by having a small spring assembly inside that increases the aperture size as the canister pressure drops. You're still bound by the same physical limitation as the cheaper non-regulated stoves - when its cold - or you've just been running the stove for a while, you hit the problem of the canister getting too cold for a decent amount of fuel to evaporate. Obviously keeping the canister warm enough solves the problem (but not too warm least you cause a...situation). I don't use the flash/sol pots I have, they're too small. The sumo on the other hand is a great size.
Sounds I'm perfectly fine with a Zip or Flash?
r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0
JasonSH wrote:Sounds I'm perfectly fine with a Zip or Flash?
You haven't mentioned what you're currently using, or what you're using it for...But I'd hazard a guess that you'll be fine if those pot sizes work for you.
Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Just for a bit of history, both the zip and flash models have been available on the market for the past several years and sold concurrently with each other. Unless something had changed recently jetboil has always intended to have both as options for users.

r m wrote: You haven't mentioned what you're currently using, or what you're using it for...But I'd hazard a guess that you'll be fine if those pot sizes work for you.
Have been using the Snow Peak stove, love it but looking for some versatility beyond it.
Steve Murphy · · Timnath, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 20
Here is the official word on Jetboils in altitude and cold weather.

If you are using it in cold weather, I suggest bringing along a lightweight shallow pan just large enough to place the canister in. Heat up a little bit of water first and pour it in the pan. The added heat will bring your Jetboil to life!

Backcountry has the Flash in stock, and every REI from Denver to Salt Lake City shows the Flash in stock...so it doesn't seem like availability is too limited, at least at the moment.
Steve Murphy wrote:Here is the official word on Jetboils in altitude and cold weather. If you are using it in cold weather, I suggest bringing along a lightweight shallow pan just large enough to place the canister in. Heat up a little bit of water first and pour it in the pan. The added heat will bring your Jetboil to life! Backcountry has the Flash in stock, and every REI from Denver to Salt Lake City shows the Flash in stock...so it doesn't seem like availability is too limited, at least at the moment.
YES!,.. I've read about the trick with the pan of warm water!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Jetboil Stoves?...(climbing related-ish?)"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.