Mountain Project Logo

Ice harness

Original Post
Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310

I am in need to retire my old Xenos harness, I am looking for an Ice specific harness with 6 ice clipper attachments, other than the newer BD Xenos anyone know about a good ice harness?

Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188

six marty? you climbing 300ft pitches? ;)

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I don't have a good recommendation of a good ice harness. I use a Petzl Corax, not exactly fancy, but works well for me. I can attach four ice clippers. I put 13s and 17s upfront and 10s and 21s in the back.

You wrote that you use six ice clippers. Could you explain how you rack up please?

yes Zack! wanna see My Pomme Direct video again ahahha
I've been using the BD Xenos for years now and got used to 6 ice clippers, I rack 19's ( 1 or 2 ) in the back plus my one 22cm, the center will be all my 13 and 16 ( core of the rack 6 ish screws ) and the front will have my stubies and super stubies ( 2 - 3 ) all this depending on the route of course, ive had up to 16 screws on a 70m pitch of WI6 ( L'Epee de Jade ) in Gaspesie !

So yeah 6 hahah
Once you go 6 you'll never come back !

Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78
Theriault wrote:yes Zack! wanna see My Pomme Direct video again ahahha I've been using the BD Xenos for years now and got used to 6 ice clippers, I rack 19's ( 1 or 2 ) in the back plus my one 22cm, the center will be all my 13 and 16 ( core of the rack 6 ish screws ) and the front will have my stubies and super stubies ( 2 - 3 ) all this depending on the route of course, ive had up to 16 screws on a 70m pitch of WI6 ( L'Epee de Jade ) in Gaspesie ! So yeah 6 hahah One you go 6 you'll never come back !
Does ANY other harness have 6 clipper spots?

..... I wanna see that video for the first time!

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a harness with 8 ice clipper slots? 6 is so worn out.

That Pomme D'or vid is sweet.

Does anyone know where I can find a harness that doesnt have gear loops and only has ice clipper spots?

In all seriousness... Took this from Mike Barter, where you tape a fat oval onto one of your gear loops. It works incredibly well.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Zac.St.Jules wrote: In all seriousness... Took this from Mike Barter, where you tape a fat oval onto one of your gear loops. It works incredibly well.
I've been doing that for >10 years. No worries about it breaking and dropping your screws!

But my biners are huge Wild Country wiregate biners.
Gunkiemike wrote: I've been doing that for >10 years. No worries about it breaking and dropping your screws! But my biners are huge Wild Country wiregate biners.
I use the petzl owall.

Bill, chek out Ice vid in Ice Climbing forum, ill put it there for a limited time

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10
shoo wrote: Does ANY other harness have 6 clipper spots?
Yes, the previous generation Arcteryx ice harness can hold 13 clippers (not that anyone would do that) because it basically has a daisy chain of slots to choose from on each side. I have one I am willing to sell the harness to get a smaller one. Other than that its basically the same as the current generation ice harness. Size L if anyone is interested.

Theriault,

Thanks for posting the video. What an adventure! The editing was really well done. I laughed when you guys were drinking suger free Red Bulls mid route. I might have to start packing a can myself.

Bill Kirby wrote:Theriault, Thanks for posting the video. What an adventure! The editing was really well done. I laughed when you guys were drinking suger free Red Bulls mid route. I might have to start packing a can myself.
Bill, thanks, this was my first time using camera/editing and I am a dinosaur when it comes to technologies haha But yeah what a Route!!!
StuartB · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 35

When these are available you could put six clippers on any harness you want

thealpinestart.com/wp-conte…

Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78
StuartB wrote:When these are available you could put six clippers on any harness you want thealpinestart.com/wp-conte…
You can already do that with the BD ones, albeit a bit more awkwardly.
Mike Hazard · · Ballston Lake, NY · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 310

Since we are talking ice clippers has anyone used or played with the DMM Vault yet? Just curious really, I couldn't see spending that much for one (let alone 6).

rockandsnow.com/85709/dmm-v…

Mike Hazard wrote:Since we are talking ice clippers has anyone used or played with the DMM Vault yet? Just curious really, I couldn't see spending that much for one (let alone 6). rockandsnow.com/85709/dmm-v…
Yes.. they fancy huh they fancy huh! I thought about after losing a tool on rappel. Damn tree!!

I could see shelling out that kinda coin if you were driving on the Icefields Pkwy to do Weeping Wall, Curtain Call, Polar Circus etc.. but then again you could just tape a biner to your harness if you're worried about losing screws or tools.
Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50
Mike Hazard wrote:Since we are talking ice clippers has anyone used or played with the DMM Vault yet?
Yes. I like them personally.
Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

Grivel has the "Carryabiner" as well, but I haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere.

Supposed to be fully rated so that you could bail off of it or use it for an anchor in a pinch.
Shepido wrote: Yes. I have two currently the non locking version on my Mammut Zephyr Alpine harness. Which has a daisy chain to fit 4 clippers at best really not 6 as the OP wants. They are great! Screws rack and unrack like butter- no hang ups, totally solid, and now I don't worry about losing either tools or screws due to cheap plastic breaking. The only knock I have on them is that they screw down with a flat head screw instead of hex headed. I almost always have some small allen keys on hand for crampons or tools, (and I suspect others do also) so it should be using that instead of a flat head. But like 4.9/5 stars I would say otherwise.
Do yours loosen up during the day out?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ice harness "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started