Mountain Project Logo

Need sport climbing intro

Original Post
Zach V · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I'm into bouldering, but looking to get into sport climbing. My home climbing area is rrg. I honestly know very little about rope climbing in general. Any info helps! Rope length, harness, are GRI GRI worth it, what mm of rope should I get and what does that even mean? Any info helps.

Thanks

Chad Volk · · Westminster, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 41
How to Sport Climb

Bisharat's sport climbing book is quite helpful.
M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

No bouldering friends who also rope climb? You could start your book learning by clicking 'School of Rock' above, but you really need to have people who know what they are doing show you in person. If you don't know people who rope climb and know what they are doing, it will be well worth your time to take a little class with a good guide (or maybe through a gym, but be aware that gym instruction can be pretty lacking when it comes to transferring to the outdoors and your "instructor" may barely know what they are talking about)

To be honest not a lot of my friends climb, it's kinda my thing. An if they do its bouldering.
Broke musicians= broke climbers
Any gear help?

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Sounds like you just have to make an effort to go to bouldering areas where there are more climbers and make more friends. You are bound to meet some who also roped climb. RRG is full of sport climbers. You are going to have to make friends with somebody if you want to be belayed anyway, after all.

Head over to Miguels once you have met some who let you tag along and let you borrow a harness to tie into top rope to see if you even like being up in the air, and have them help you pick out a harness. You wont need a rope or even a GriGri at first if you are going with more experienced people.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Don't invest in a rope or draws until you know what you're doing in terms of lead belaying, cleaning gear, and leading.

as others have said, the best way to learn is by climbing with an experienced crew or taking a class. This should not be hard to do if you live near a gym.

Alternatively, you can show up at Miguel's with a harness and a willingness to pay for others' camping, beer, gas, etc. in return for being shown the ropes, so to speak. Some folks are generous enough to let you do it for free.

Reading some books or articles on sort climbing can be useful for getting an idea of the systems and techniques, but nothing tops hands on experience.

Garrett Harper · · Birmingham, AL · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 45

60 meter dynamic rope, 6-10 quick draws, and an ATC. Any harness that fits will work fine.

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

Well unfortunately RRG's season is kinda coming to a close, some of us will still make a trip down if there is a magical weather window but who knows

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

I would not shell out money for equipment other then harness and atc until at least you learn how to belay and find experienced partners. Say you have rope and quick draws now, what are you going to do with them?

You are more likely to find partners (who already have equipment) if you know how to belay. Spend the money on taking an outdoor clinic. If you cant find one in your area, hire an outdoor guide. Once you are a safe belayer, you will find partners on MP or in your local gym.

Thanks for all the advice! Harness and friends it is!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Need sport climbing intro"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started