Mountain Project Logo

Silent partner

Original Post
timinthehouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Sorry if this has been answered I looked around but couldnt find any info on the subject. Why has rock exotica discontinued the silent partner? I figure lead soloing would be an inherent risk but from what I've gathered the silent partner was the better device to use for this. So why discontinue, not enough people using the device (guess that makes sense) just too risky? I dont plan on doing any aid or lead soloing just curious.

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

Can't answer the question, though I am curious as well. They also, in the past, discontinued the only other dedicated soloing devices on the market: the Solo-aid and the Soloist.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Probably a very very expensive device to manufacture for the very niche market that is lead rope soloists it's probably only like 1 in 100,000 that ever even try rope soling and an even smaller amount that will do it enough to justify them buying the device.

MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,226

On a related topic, since the silent partner seems nearly impossible to come by - does anyone have a good recommendation for a TR solo device that doesn't have teeth (like the traxion line or a general ascender), and doesn't require yarding in slack every few moves (like a grigri). I was thinking something like a shunt or one of the other toothless rope grab type devices (rescucender or similar) along with back-up knots on a 2nd strand would be a good, simple combo. I know there's a grigri mod out there but I'm not too keen on that idea.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
MattH wrote:On a related topic, since the silent partner seems nearly impossible to come by - does anyone have a good recommendation for a TR solo device that doesn't have teeth (like the traxion line or a general ascender), and doesn't require yarding in slack every few moves (like a grigri). I was thinking something like a shunt or one of the other toothless rope grab type devices (rescucender or similar) along with back-up knots on a 2nd strand would be a good, simple combo. I know there's a grigri mod out there but I'm not too keen on that idea.
Whats wrong with the micro traxion?
teece303 · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 596

I bought a Silent Partner not too long ago. I have not gotten very good with it yet, because I just haven't used it much.

It takes practice, and I've only done a handful of pitches.

I was considering selling it, becuase I don't use it very often, but now I'm just really glad to have it! Ha.

The Petzl MicroScender, RescueScender (sp?) is a toothless device that can be used for TR solo, iirc.

(But really: the teeth on a traxion are a non-issue.)

Alan Doak · · boulder, co · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 120
MattH wrote:On a related topic, since the silent partner seems nearly impossible to come by - does anyone have a good recommendation for a TR solo device that doesn't have teeth (like the traxion line or a general ascender), and doesn't require yarding in slack every few moves (like a grigri). I was thinking something like a shunt or one of the other toothless rope grab type devices (rescucender or similar) along with back-up knots on a 2nd strand would be a good, simple combo. I know there's a grigri mod out there but I'm not too keen on that idea.
The micro-traxion is a fine device for solo TR, it's what everyone I know uses (including myself). I tested some factor-1 falls at home, and it took 4 falls on the exact same spot of an old rope before a core-shot appeared, which far exceeded my expectations for safety.

I just recommend having a backup device, like a 2nd micro in-line below. A few months ago I derped and wore a loose shirt, which got caught in the cam, which can clog the teeth and cause it to fail to grab. It caught anyway, but I was glad I had a backup device.

Back to the OP, I've only known one person who's owned an SP. Most everyone else it seems uses a Gri-Gri for solo lead belay.... which might have something to do with its demise.
climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

I wonder if the wild country revo might serve the same purpose as the silent partner. wildcountry.com/revo/ It is an assisted locking device that senses the rope speed to engage the brake like the silent partner. You would still need to clip loops of the rope periodically to provide the assist.

Any thoughts? Has anyone actually seen one?

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
teece303 wrote:I bought a Silent Partner not too long ago. I have not gotten very good with it yet, because I just haven't used it much. It takes practice, and I've only done a handful of pitches. I was considering selling it, becuase I don't use it very often, but now I'm just really glad to have it! Ha. The Petzl MicroScender, RescueScender (sp?) is a toothless device that can be used for TR solo, iirc. (But really: the teeth on a traxion are a non-issue.)
I SWEAR by the Kong Duck. It uses a grooved camming mechanism rather than teeth. Feeds as smooth as silk and also works exceptionally well to protect the follower while simulclimbing. The only caveat I'd offer, is that it doesn't sit well on anything but a locking OVAL carabiner, but otherwise, I honestly don't have a single knock against it.
. . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Add me to the list of people curious to know why the silent partner has disappear from rock exotica's website without a word.

D F · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 406

I have an answer. I broke one of the small pins on mine recently, so I called the company to see about a replacement part. Had nice chat with the guy who answered, and he confirmed that they don't make them anymore simply because rope soloing is still too much of a niche market to be profitable. In other words, those of us that use them love them, but there simply isn't enough of us (demand) to be a viable business for the company. Bummed.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Link to a lengthy SP discussion.

mountainproject.com/v/silen…

I would imagine that it was discontinued because it wasn't a money maker.

Jordon · · Rochester, MN · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233
MattH wrote: On a related topic, since the silent partner seems nearly impossible to come by - does anyone have a good recommendation for a TR solo device that doesn't have teeth (like the traxion line or a general ascender), and doesn't require yarding in slack every few moves (like a grigri). I was thinking something like a shunt or one of the other toothless rope grab type devices (rescucender or similar) along with back-up knots on a 2nd strand would be a good, simple combo. I know there's a grigri mod out there but I'm not too keen on that idea.

I like to use the shunt and the Rock Exotica double microcender. Using two of the same size rope, I feed both my primary and my backup ropes through both devices.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Silent partner "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started