Mountain Project Logo

Morocco or Spain in December

Original Post
Jordan Moore · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60

Does any one know what the conditions would be like on the walls in Taghia in December? I'm seeing highs around 50 F...so reasonable, but am I going to freeeeeeze at night? Any info would be appreciated. A partner would be appreciated even more. I've got 2-3 weeks to climb in Spain or Morocco in December.

Nate Farr · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 65

I've never been that time of year but the locals indicated it would be cold and snowy. I've heard of people climbing there in the late fall on lucky years... but not that late. If you go, I'd love to see what that place looks like in the winter! I'd bet Spain would be warmer and more productive in December.

I'm living in Spain for a few months. So the adventure to Taghia is ohh so enticing. But note taken on the chilly climbs. Thanks Nate!

Aaron Hedges · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1

Hey Jordan,

I'm cycling through Spain down into Morocco. Currently in France. My schedule is...very flexible, only that I'm heading to Paris for Christmas to travel back to Malaga to climb (not by bike). I figured I'd stay in morocco for a while to avoid the colder weather. So definitely down to climb wherever in December.

From my understanding the big wall climbing in Morrocco will be pretty cold in December. Possible, but cold. And may also present some logistical challenges like hiring pack mules to bring into Taghia. I could be convinced to adventure with the right partner. But having said that, the sport climbing in Spain is amazing and there's plenty of sunny crags for climbing in December. Let me know if you want to organize a time to climb together! I have three day weekends (thursday - sunday) and free from December 15th - January 1st

What about Jebel el Kest and Taskra? It looks like it would be a quality trad adventure ideal in the winter (was looking at the Morocco rock guide by crack addicts). But yeah, there's plenty in Spain too. Not sure if it's right for a 3 day weekend trip...

Timothy Henry · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Aaron,

are you still heading to Morocco from Dec 15 into the new year?

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

Todra would be great in the winter. I climbed in Tafraoute in the summer and would not recommend the area to anyone unless you're well versed on self rescue. Would imsgine winter might work on South facing climbs

Rauzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I climbed Todra in February and it was pretty cold in the shade and great in the sun. Not too chilly really... excellent spot. I can't speak to Taghia.

Timothy,

Actually, I'll be in Tanger by dec 1 then heading to Marrakech

Timothy Henry · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

How long will you be in Marrakesh? Tentatively maybe in Marrakesh Dec 18th.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Morocco or Spain in December"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started