Mountain Project Logo

Found: anchor at gunks

Original Post
Eric Bluemn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 3,758

I stumbled across a very nice gear anchor at the Gunks 11/19. People in the area said they hadn't seen anybody using it, and it looked like it had been forgotten, so I cleaned it. If you can let me know what you lost and which climb it was on, I'll help you get your gear back.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

There was an accident on Coex yesterday. If it was anywhere near there, it might be associated with that incident. The Mac wall was busy and I wouldn't be surprised if a party may have made a hasty descent to help out.

Adam Gellman · · Bellingham WA/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 261

I was the guy in the accident on Mac wall (star action not coex), but I don't believe we built a gear anchor for bailing. I'll still sort through my gear to check. Was the anchor on Mac wall?

-Adam

Thanks so much for helping to splint me up yesterday And getting me out of there. I got very lucky that the carabiner didnt mess up any tendons or blood vessels in my ankle. I only needed 2 stiches at the hospital and then walked out of the ER. It definitely hurts but I should be climbing again in just a couple weeks.
-Adam

Eric Bluemn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 3,758
Adam Gellman wrote:I was the guy in the accident on Mac wall (star action not coex), but I don't believe we built a gear anchor for bailing. I'll still sort through my gear to check. Was the anchor on Mac wall? -Adam
Hey Adam - sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad to hear that nothing serious was injured. The gear wasn't found on the Mac wall however, so its unlikely to be related to your accident. Heal up!

Sounds good. Thanks!

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Adam Gellman wrote:I got very lucky that the carabiner didnt mess up any tendons or blood vessels in my ankle. -Adam
My curiosity is piqued...
Leeg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Hey Adam, I was one of the guys who helped carry you out in the litter, we were chatting about Jersey city... I'm Glad to hear you're doing well after that and only ended up needing a few stitches. I agree the picture you have up doesn't really do it justice. Can you tell us a little about the placement that you got hooked on? What kind of carabiner was it?
-Lee

Michael C · · New Jersey · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 340
Adam Gellman wrote:I was the guy in the accident on Mac wall (star action not coex), but I don't believe we built a gear anchor for bailing. I'll still sort through my gear to check. Was the anchor on Mac wall? -Adam
Glad you're ok!

What happened?
Michael C wrote: Glad you're ok! What happened?
I fell off the crux and my ankle hit the runner of a lower piece and I got flipped upside down. The carabiner hooked my my ankle and i was hanging by it. I pulled myself up by the rope, unclipped my ankle and lowered off. I got medical attention on the ground. My leg was not behind the rope. I should have no lasting damage and only needed 2 stiches.
Leeg wrote:Hey Adam, I was one of the guys who helped carry you out in the litter, we were chatting about Jersey city... I'm Glad to hear you're doing well after that and only ended up needing a few stitches. I agree the picture you have up doesn't really do it justice. Can you tell us a little about the placement that you got hooked on? What kind of carabiner was it? -Lee
Hi Lee,
I really don' know what the placement was but I am told it was a .3 C4 with a runner on it. Surprisingly, it was a hook-nose carabiner and i have no clue how it punctured and how I got it out. If it was a key lock, then it probably would have gone through the other side.
Leeg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Yeah, it sounds like a one in a million chance of getting hooked there in what should of been a relatively minor fall. See you back out there soon!

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

How is it my entire life I never heard of someone getting hooked by the Achilles and hanging upside down by it. All of a sudden ive read about this twice in a couple of months?!

Glad to hear you are ok man. Blows my fucking mind this shitcan actually happen. go buy a fucking lottery ticket bro.

Michael C · · New Jersey · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 340
Adam Gellman wrote:unclipped my ankle...
"Unclipped my ankle?"

Dude.

Wow.

Best wishes for a speedy recover and safe return to climbing.
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Sorry to hear of this accident and glad it wasn't worse!

My question. So did you fall reaching for the jug or making the step left after the jug?

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90
SethG wrote:Sorry to hear of this accident and glad it wasn't worse! My question. So did you fall reaching for the jug or making the step left after the jug?
Wouldn't the gear at his waist when reaching for the jug?
SethG wrote:Sorry to hear of this accident and glad it wasn't worse! My question. So did you fall reaching for the jug or making the step left after the jug?
yeah the gear was at my waist and I was reaching for the jug. The piece that caught my ankle was 6 feet below the gear at the crux, which reduced the force on my ankle as I may have been caught by the rope and the ankle carabiner around the same time.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Found: anchor at gunks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started