Mountain Project Logo

Found Evolv Shaman at Mac wall during accident

Original Post
Adam Gellman · · Bellingham WA/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 261

Hi, I am the guys who got a carabiner through his ankle on Mac wall yesterday. In the confusion packing up gear, I ended up with an extra on someone's shoe in my pack. Let me know if it was yours and I will find a way to get it to you.

-Adam

khalifornia · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Woah. Can't help you with the shoe but can you explain the accident? If you don't want to derail this thread start a new one but.... A carabiner thru your ankle!?!?!

Yeah it was pretty nasty. I took a lead fall and a lower piece of protection snagged my ankle and flipped me upside down. I was essentially hanging by a carabiner puncturing my ankle being the Achilles tendon. Managed to pull myself up and unclip it from my ankle. Lowered off the climb and got help on the ground. I got really lucky and only needed a couple stiches.

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

I'm around the area, you have to leave much gear on the route? Can try to get up there later today or tomorrow.

My friend went back and cleaned the route, so I believe we have all the gear. If we find we lost anything in the confusion, I'll let you know. Thanks!

Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

First of all dude, I'm glad you're okay. That sounds pretty gnarly. I hope it doesn't set you back too far.

Second of all, do you have and pictures?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Nicholas King 1 wrote: Second of all, do you have and pictures?
Kind of a funny and strange request to an accident victim.
Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20
FrankPS wrote: Kind of a funny and strange request to an accident victim.
I know it definitely is. After the guy who had the "fingers in a light socket" accident I have been wanting to see peoples climbing accident pictures. The ones he posted on that thread were freaking cool!

Not that people getting hurt is cool, because it is not. But I just think the pictures are sweet.

Of course I got some pictures, though I waited until I got to the ER before getting any pics. The pictures really don't do the wound justice. Also, where would I submit an accident report?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Adam Gellman wrote: Also, where would I submit an accident report?
The American Alpine Club. Every year, they publish a book with climbing accidents.

publications.americanalpine…

publications.americanalpine…

thanks

Justin Tomlinson · · Monrovia, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 270

Yikes! freak accident, glad you are on the mend.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Adam - first off, I'm happy to hear you're not too badly hurt. I was one of several folks who helped carry you down to the carriage road.

Secondly - you should have put the biner back in for that photo. :-o

Gunkiemike wrote:Adam - first off, I'm happy to hear you're not too badly hurt. I was one of several folks who helped carry you down to the carriage road. Secondly - you should have put the biner back in for that photo. :-o
Thanks for helping out Saturday! Unfortunately, I didn't have the carabiner when they stiches me up, but now I have it as a souvenir, complete with blood.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Found Evolv Shaman at Mac wall during accident "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started