Mountain Project Logo

Mammut Galaxy + Grigri 2 experiences?

Original Post
r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

How does feeding out rope go with a galaxy in a grigri2? I'd rather deliberate interference with the locking to feed out rope not be a constant thing

It may be 10mm but they packed a lot of nylon into there (9-10 UIAA falls, 68g/m, commonly considered quite stiff...). I suspect it's not so great with a gg2.

Yip. This is a very specific question. I don't have a whole lot of rope options around here, nor a whole lot of allowed belay devices at the local gym.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Your gym won't allow an ATC?

I can't get any rope to feed well through any grigri, so much for my patronage, eh?

Best, Helen

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

John, I had a whole grigri no-go thread, so just take my word for it, some of us are not good with them.

OP, since it's a gym, can't you borrow the rope, the gri, or both? I would think anyone would help you try it out, if you just asked.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

The gym allows only grigris and ATCs. I haven't seen anyone with a galaxy to ask them how it goes. There's also a >=9.8mm rope diameter rule...

I had a galaxy long ago, though that was before I used a grigri2.

teece303 · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 596

I have a Galaxy. Use it with my Gri Gri 1. Partners use it with their Gri Gri 2s. Works fine.

More practice?

F B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

This thread made me skeptical about the Galaxy 10.0 + GriGri2 but I just got the rope and I find that it works great for lead belaying/giving slack. Not sure what the deal is with people who find it jerky. To give slack, I personally slide my right index finger under the wedge/tab, use my thumb to hold down the auto-blocking component and hold the rope lightly with my other three fingers.

So far it's a great rope. I also read something about it being too cable-y but the handling/clipping is great, too.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Mammut Galaxy + Grigri 2 experiences?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started