Mountain Project Logo

Lander Thanksgiving

Original Post
evan h · · Longmont, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 360

Hi, I'm looking for some input from Lander locals or regular visitors.

I know Sinks can be climbed all winter, and I'm very accustomed to cold weather climbing, but how is the camping in late November? Is the city park still an option? I'm fairly hardy up to a point, but don't want to suffer through super cold nights for a sport climbing trip. On another note, are there any affordable options outside of cheap motels?

I'm assuming you guys have also been experiencing the above-average temps for the fall, as we have in the Front Range.

Thanks!

Anyone?

Tom Rangitsch · · Lander, Wy · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,699

City park is definitely an option, I have friends who have lived out of their cars in the park for an entire winter season. The camping in sinks is also an option, lows will probably be in the teens to twenties around that time of year. They built some yurts in the state park campground a couple of years ago. You might check with the park about availability and price. I think they are cheaper than a motel. That's pretty much all I know about it. You might also call the Wild Iris, they have better beta than you might find from random people on the internet.

Thanks Tom!

Emerson Takahashi · · Casper, WY · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 2,688

What are you camping in?
Winter camping in Sink's is generally ok as long as you can keep your ass off the ground(cot/insulated sleeping pad).

It can get chilly at night, but with a warm jacket and a fire/whiskey you'll be just fine.

40s? Probably T-shirt weather.

Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105

I think you meant to type Indian Creek.. That's where the rest of us will be :)

Yeah, I'm optimistic. I personally will climb in the shade down to lower 30s, but it's all personal preference. We'll be there!

It really depends on specific conditions in Sinks. If there are high clouds causing haze or anything more than a slight breeze, then 40 can feel really cold. If it is blue bird and no wind, we climb up there in single digits. It also sounds weird, but the conditions in the parking lot can be much different than right at the cliff and you actually need to walk up there even if the parking lot is freezing.

We locals have the luxury of driving 10 minutes to check, but it is a crap shoot if you are visiting. I know that is not super helpful, but that is just the way it is in the cold season.

AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10
Tom Rangitsch wrote: If there are high clouds causing haze or anything more than a slight breeze, then 40 can feel really cold. If it is blue bird and no wind, we climb up there in single digits.
This. In my experience, the wind seems to almost matter more than anything.

You might also check out Sam Lightner's site landerclimbingweather.com

It has specific forecasts for Sinks. I have found Sam's beta to be just a little conservative (i.e. it might be better than he says) but it is the best thing going.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Lander Thanksgiving"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started