Mountain Project Logo

Fixe Alien Lite in the Gunks???

Original Post
Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

Has anyone used the Fixe Alien Lite in the Gunks? These cams were not on my radar until I saw a promo video on weighmyrack. Now I see $51 bucks per cam which seems pretty good for what looks like a nice update to the Alien.

backcountrygear.com/alien-l…

Thanks in advance.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

Go to rock and snow and buy the Totem and Totem basics. Much better quality.

M Santisi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,889

Agree with divnamite.

I used to own the Grey Alien lite with an extendable sling. Range was the same as the regular aliens and works well in the gunks. However I ended up having a problem with quality which when I brought it to Kevin at Fixe lead to a problem with customer service. After reading more stories online it seemed like I wasn't even close to the only one having problems with quality and customer service with Fixe. Decided to get rid of all of my Fixe aliens and upgrade to the Totem basics and couldn't be happier. A buddy of mine has the regular totems in the microcam sizes and Ive gotten to use them quite a bit. Again high quality cam.

Long story short you get what you pay for and there is probably a reason these are on sale. There's also a reason you almost never see the Totems on sale, but I've also never heard anything bad about them.

Scott Morris · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 853

No experience with Aliens to share here, however I did get a kick out of that video on the BackcountryGear site, where at 3:08 the stitching on the sling gets completely wonked up inside the loop around the cable after she extends it. Pretty sure that's not where you want the stitching to end up! Although I understand the general idea of having extendable slings to reduce drag and possibly reduce the number of quickdraws carried, I remain skeptical of that feature on any cam due to the issue perfectly demonstrated here, along with the extra clutter of the doubled up slings on each cam.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 290

I was told at Rock and Snow that they deglove

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

mnjsan thank you for the first-hand feedback. Regarding extendable slings, I use DMM Dragons with an extendable sling but no thumb loop. Those have been great. I rack them on Camp Photon carabiners and they sit very nicely with other types of cams including Totems. The one drawback is cleaning is a bit fussy if the sling is extended; I have to choose between re-racking the cam with the sling extended or exerting the effort to reset the sling before re-racking. Generally, I grab the DMM Dragon before the matching size of BD C4, so my instinctive vote is for the extendable sling. I had hoped the Fixe Alien would a nice (and cheap) extendable sling option with a thumb loop in the micro range. Guess not.

I cannot say enough good things about Totems (sadly they don't go on sale and cost like $30 more than the Fixe Alien sale price - not really a fair comparison). I have not encountered the much talked about problem with racking Totems. But I have found that Totems sit really nicely in spots where Dragon/C4s look sketch. Also Totems rarely walk. If I am making a move above a piece my first choice is a Totem or a bomber nut.

Thank you all of commenting.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Buy Totem Basics, you will be happy. They are awesome.

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

the lite's suck... apparently they're going through a change and are updating them. I had the trigger on mine rip and stuck in a crack....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Fixe Alien Lite in the Gunks???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started