Mountain Project Logo

CAMP photon express wire/mixed QDs

Original Post
Jesse Jakomait · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

Does anyone have recent experience with the CAMP photon wire carabiners and QD's? I bought some about 3 or 4 years ago before the recall and after using them for a month some of the wire gates would stick open. Did they fix this? I really like the size of these lightweight carabiners and if they can get them to work as reliably as my black diamond draws they would earn my money. Also it looks like they changed the webbing and rubber do-hicky on the sling. Does the new design actually work?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I've heard of the sticky gate issue with both the photons and the nanos but I've never experienced it with either. I've bought quite a few nano 22s within the past couple of months, but it's been around a year since I bought a photon. None of mine, both old and new, have ever gotten sticky gates.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 2,513

I've been using the photon wiregates exclusively for the past year on all of my cams and on the rope biner for many of my draws. I've have only had one get sticky. (but I think the wire got bent somehow) Great carabiner. Low profile on the gear loop, light weight, but full sized. Probably done easily 10000'+ of climbing on most of them.

And the rubber do-hicky on the dogbone works really, really well.

Micah Klesick · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,971

love them. I've had one sticky gate out the 18 I've got, but that's it.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

I have a few of them with no sticky gates. However the gate tension to open them was low out of the gate.

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I bought a bunch of new ones of the mixed quickdraws a few months ago, and have had no problems so far (keeping my fingers crossed...). The rubber doo-hicky is very sticky and really keeps that biner in place, although it's a pain if I want to temporarily cannibalize the non-lockers from my quickdraws for another purpose.

Jesse Jakomait · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

Thanks for all of the helpful responses! The low tension on the wire gate was something I noticed as well but if they keep closed then that's better than too stiff. I like BD's spring tension the best while I find Petzl's too stiff when I'm pumped out of my mind trying to clip the rope. If the lighter CAMP wire keeps working (maybe its the fine grit at teh craig that balls them up?) I'm game to give them another try. I currently use a hybrid with a Camp Photon keylock nose for the bolt and a BD hotwire biner for the rope side a Petzl dogbone but it gets a lot more expensive trying to build the 'perfect' lightweight but full ergonomic quickdraw.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Love my Camp QDs with the Photon on the rope and and Nano 22 on the wall end. A great way to drop a little weight and still keep a highly functional unit.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

If you're doing a miss matched sport draw check out the camp orbit bent gate wires. They have just a smidge more tension than the photons, but they are incredibly easy to clip. I have petzl spirits on the bolt side for easy cleaning.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "CAMP photon express wire/mixed QDs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started