Mountain Project Logo

Best sport and trad shoes for wide feet

Original Post
Raymond Moreno · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 140

Hey folks, I have a question for y'all.

I am getting more and more into sport climbing. And because of that, I am now looking for a good shoe for wide feet.

I currently love to boulder more than anything, and own two pair of Evolv Shaman shoes. They are fantastic for wide feet, which is why I purchased them.

I am now in the market for some lead climbing shoes. I am even up for some crack climbing as well. (Don't know if the latter will widen the field of shoes to use even more).

My bouldering shoes are aggressive, and after 30 minutes, they need to come off to let my feet breath and stretch out.

But I guess I am looking for something not so aggressive, more comfortable for long usage, and geared more for indoor/outdoor lead climbing.

I hear that crack climbing requires softer shoes that will bend and conform when placed in cracks, and stickier soles for slab purchase.

I have my eyes on the:

Five-Ten Quantum
La Sportiva Skwama
Evolv Luchador

Anyhoo...anyone with WIDE FEET that has a bit of experience in this matter, who can help direct me in finding a wide shoe for my needs...well...me love you long time.

Thanks in advance for the information and leads/links.

In Christ: Raymond

Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 108

Big fat wide feet that wouldn't fit in a shoe box. Sorry you pansy ass narrow footed ballet dancers who consider 2E "wide".

These: Butora Altura Wide

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 509

Hey Raymond. If you already have an aggressive performance shoe like the Shaman for steep stuff, get a flat pair for everything else. If you like the Shamans, stick with Evolv. I use their shoes and they are a great brand. People say most Evolv shoes are good for wider feet, so they are a good pick. La Sportiva's are known for being narrower. Something like the Axiom or Kronos is great for general climbing of any sort. If you can find a pair on closeout, the Bandits are also excellent.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Leather uppers. Seriously. Also will smell better than anything synthetic after significant climbing (::cough::Defys::cough::) and will stretch to fit your feet better.

There are not many brands can fit my puddle stompers. Inside I currently use the Cypher Prefix. They were so massively on sale that I figured it was worth a gamble on fit, and I have been really satisfied with how well they perform (up to Movement's 5.12a/V5 so far). Outside I use Mythos.

Butora Mantras, they fit, but I found I was missing foot placements because they were so stiff I couldn't really feel foot placements and because the rubber is less sticky. The Mantras are wider than the wide version of the Alturas (tried em both at R&R).

Ahram Prak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 140

5.10 Stonemaster at street size; everyday shoe. I own one size half size down from street, and the other at street.
5.10 Quantum 1/2 size down; the NEW Quantums, not the old. More narrow than Stonemaster. Great sport and bouldering shoe.
TC Pro full size down; all day edging
Butora; anything in their wide fit at street size.

I have super wide and flat feet, and thus far, these are the only shoes that work comfortably.

Nate D · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 950

I have wide feet and really enjoy my TC pros for trad climbing. It's just a matter of getting the right size. Even a half euro size is a big deal with climbing shoes I've found, so try em on first, try at least 5-6 half sizes around your average before you commit.

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Boreal Satori is a great wide shoe that is reminiscent of the Solution but with a better fastening system in my opinion.

What size are you?

ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

5.10 Anasazi for trad work for me and I can't fit in the TC Pro..

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,821

Try Mythos. They work fairly well on most rock applications and fit both narrow as well as wide feet. I have 3E and they are my go to shoe. Just need to let out the laces along the top of your foot a bit.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

Not all Sportivas are narrow. Consider Katana laces sized a bit tight (1 to 1.5 down from street) if you want a stiffer edging platform, larger they are a great trad shoe for jamming (and still edge decently at .5 down from street).

The Skwama does have a wider toe box than the solution, python, muira lace, etc. It's medium stiffness, stiffer and better for edging (outside) than the python for sure. If you're climbing mostly vertical rock you may want something stiffer though.
Size tight, toe box is unlined leather. I'm 2.5 down from street shoe.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

You'll need to be careful with 5.10, as their heels run narrow (fit my feet perfectly). Leather uppers are a good idea (Mythos, etc) because they'll stretch to fit any foot size. Evolv Astroman is often billed as TC Pros for wide feet.

Past User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,069

The new 5.10 huber designed quantums are awesome. They should do anything well- these seem like a wider version of sportiva's katana laces to me (although a little less quality in the construction, but nothing to worry about).

Glen Prior · · Truckee, Ca · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I wear 42.5 2E. Medium arch. Astroman fit well, but wore out quickly. Scarpa TechnoX are my go to shoe, and they have stretched to fit perfectly.

Clayton Rardon · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 260

I've got a foot that was made for crocs, my feet are not only wide but they're high volume as well. the Butora wide versions don't fit my feet at all...

1) I only buy shoes that will stretch. Think unlined leather. FiveTen Moccasyms were my go to shoe for over a decade.

2) I've had good luck with the TC pro (leaving the laces looser toward the toe) and the Solutions (they're lined and they still stretched a good bit... I only gave them a shot because I got great deal on them). I haven't tried the Mythos in over a decade 10-15 years ago they were REALLY narrow and they're lined, my roommate's didn't stretch much at all.

3) after my shoes stretch, my feet bulge out over the sole, so I end up wearing the rand in key spots... it sucks. get your shoes resoled before you damage them.

coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Anything with unlined leather. Much more stretch. Slippers or Spiortiva Mythos.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

I was wearing Scarpa TechnoX's for a while, pretty wide, sensitive, stiff along the arch but not so much around the ball of the foot.

I have tried TC pros a tiny bit and they're very stiff, but I think might be a little narrow for my preference, but maybe leaving them loose or even untied in the toe box is key.

Has anyone ever measured the width of their feet against the shoe? Mine are just over 4" (slight bunion + 1 injured turf toe) at the widest part of my foot, and the Scarpas felt plenty wide, but I didn't measure them.

Tarantulaces are also pretty wide, but not stiff at all.. I guess it depends on the type of climbing you're doing and how stiff of a shoe you want.

Not to thread hijack but does anyone have suggestions for a wide and super stiff shoe (especially around the toe box/ball of the foot)? I've read about the Astroman and am interested in trying those.. I've also looked at pinks but haven't tried either as those are both hard to find in person for me.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I think those who are recommending leather uppers and stretching into them have the right idea for people with weird feet...it's really the only way to get a precise fit. The problem is that shoes like this (e.g Moccasyms) tend to keep stretching and get rather soft, which is excellent for some kinds of climbing (overhanging sport), but not for precise edging.

The 5.10 Pinks were a nearly perfect fit for my foot, which is extremely narrow in the heel/ankle area and wide in the toebox.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

Not many sportiva's are wide foot friendly. Scarpa vapor are a decent, mildly aggressive but comfortable enough to wear for a long time shoe for my wide feet. For trad I have a few pairs... Mostly flat, comfy, ideally with a higher ankle.

Mike Kaserman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

I've got wide feet and Morton's toe, so even the wide La Sportivas don't fit me. If Evolvs fit, as has been said, stick with them. Kronos and Defy are both great all-arounders. Better edging in the Kronos, better sensitivity in the Defys.

Raymond Moreno · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 140

Thanks, folks.

I really appreciated all the tips and suggestions.

I honestly sat down with a pen and paper in hand, and wrote down all your suggestions.

Each shoe was checked-out, and I narrowed it down to two pairs:

Butora Altura Wide
La Sportiva TC Pro

The timing is perfect, as Butora will be at my home gym on the 30th of November, and they will be having a shoe demo thing going-on. (Climb with any pair of their shoes. And if you decide to purchase them, they will be discounted).

My home gym also carries the TC Pro's, and they fit sweet.

One of the things I've learned about climbing shoes is this:

";NEVER PURCHASE A PAIR OF CLIMBING SHOES WITHOUT FIRST TRYING THEM ON";!!!

I cannot believe how many idiot reviews I read online (Amazon and other places) where the shoe is negatively reviewed based on its size, rather than on its performance. (Cuz the buyer didn't order the size that fit them).

• sigh*

Anyhoo...I will make my decision on the 30th.

Thanks again!!

In Christ: Raymond

Butora Altura Wide

TC Pro
carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

Awesome. Please update on the Butora's when you try them! Especially with regards to the sole stiffness in the toe/ball of the foot area.

Good luck!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best sport and trad shoes for wide feet"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.