Mountain Project Logo

Synthetic Belay Jackets

Original Post
David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152

I got a bunch of belay jackets to review this season, models from LaSportiva, Big Agnes, Black Diamond, Patagonia, and Outdoor Research. Full reviews will be coming but in the meantime if you want to do some comparison shopping you can find my first impressions here:

northeastalpinestart.com/20…

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Do you get to keep those or do you have to return them?

t.farrell wrote:Do you get to keep those or do you have to return them?
It varies by company. I offer to return all demo product at my cost following the review period.
Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

Doesn't the BD Stance Parka have a double layer of the 80g Primaloft in the torso area?

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Yeah, the Stance Parka (as opposed to the Stance hoody - unnecessarily confusing, BD!) has two layers of 80g (ie 160g) all over as far as I know.

Re: the Perch vs DAS numbers, I think it's more like

180/120 vs 200/160

though based on the description I think the 200g section of the Perch is probably more extensive than the 180g section of the DAS.

Gavin W wrote:Doesn't the BD Stance Parka have a double layer of the 80g Primaloft in the torso area?
Hmm, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised based on "feel" but there is nothing in BD's specs to indicate this... I will reach out to BD to confirm and update my blog post accordingly.
jdejace wrote:Yeah, the Stance Parka (as opposed to the Stance hoody - unnecessarily confusing, BD!) has two layers of 80g (ie 160g) all over as far as I know. Re: the Perch vs DAS numbers, I think it's more like 180/120 vs 200/160 though based on the description I think the 200g section of the Perch is probably more extensive than the 180g section of the DAS.
Spot on thanks for that catch! If I had a DAS in hand I would probably have caught that. Thanks, I fixed the numbers!
Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

From BD's website:

"Our warmest insulated jacket, the Stance is filled with two layers of lightweight, highly compressible PrimaLoft Silver Hi-Loft insulation that provide sleeping-bag level warmth, even when wet."

[Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft Insulation (80 gsm, 100% polyester)

So confusingly worded, but it is essentially a 160g parka.

Gavin W wrote:From BD's website: "Our warmest insulated jacket, the Stance is filled with two layers of lightweight, highly compressible PrimaLoft Silver Hi-Loft insulation that provide sleeping-bag level warmth, even when wet." [Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft Insulation (80 gsm, 100% polyester) So confusingly worded, but it is essentially a 160g parka.
Thanks to both of you for pointing this out, I updated the post.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Synthetic Belay Jackets"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started