Mountain Project Logo

Ice Cragging Late November?

Original Post
James Field · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 2,144

I'm considering passing by CO for thanksgiving to practice ice climbing -- mainly looking for an area to set up a top-rope and work on technique. Any thoughts on wether areas with that description will be "in" by then, or would I have to go pretty high to find some ice?

Rob Cotter · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 240

It's been abnormally warm & dry this autumn I can't imagine they'll be much ice in another week or two, sadly...

Max Frey · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

But if you were to go ice cragging / TRing in a number of weeks, where would you go?

I've done some looking around RMNP to try to find places that seems doable / approachable yet crowd-friendly... or perhaps vail ice but idk much about those areas.

Any suggestions? Even if it were 1 route to lap for a couple hours I'd be curious to hear about it.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Honestly, I would go to Canada and be prepared to lead thin and scary ice. It's still pretty early for any reliable toproping. Some stuff has been getting done in Montana, but nothing that you can top-rope.

Rob Cotter · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 240

I honestly doubt there will be any such venue at that time. Many climbers here are still rock-climbing, I've been dry-tooling but there's no Ice to speak of. It's climate change, that's how it is.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ice Cragging Late November?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started