Mountain Project Logo

Anything worth climbing on Maui?

Original Post
JDMCO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Headed to Maui next week, anything worth bringing some shoes for?

Some of the stuff at pk looks interesting?

Actually grew up on Maui but never did any outdoor climbing while I was there. Saw the few bouldering spots on the site but if there's any 'secret' beta feel free to PM me, as a former local I can assure you your secret would be safe with me.

David A · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 405

Really good deep water soloing at Black Rock. There's some ocean-side sport climbing a couple miles west of Maalea Harbor. I've heard of some adventure, scrappy trad climbing within Haleakala crater. You may be able to find some decent bouldering around Kahakuloa area on the northside of West Maui.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
JDMCO wrote:Headed to Maui next week, anything worth bringing some shoes for? Some of the stuff at pk looks interesting? Actually grew up on Maui but never did any outdoor climbing while I was there. Saw the few bouldering spots on the site but if there's any 'secret' beta feel free to PM me, as a former local I can assure you your secret would be safe with me.
Yes, there are about two dozen sport climbs at PK ranging from 5.easy to 5.13. It's worth visiting. The approach takes about five seconds. A dozen draws and a 50m is enough. There is also a 7-pitch sport climb there. I wont comment about it online, but I can give you a link to the locals and they can tell you more.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hawaii
Post a Reply to "Anything worth climbing on Maui?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started