Mountain Project Logo

BLM campground group site - Dec. 17 to 22

Original Post
Andy Casler · · Northfield, NH · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 563

Anyone interested in sharing a group site between Dec. 17 to 22? Or does anyone already have one for those dates and are you looking for some extra people to reduce your nightly rate? If so, PM me

Here are the details for group vs. individual sites at the BLM campground:

Individual Campsites
The campground has 72 individual campsites (including 14 walk-in, 5 RV & 3 accessible sites). To make campsite availability fair to all, there is a 14-day limit in effect. Individual sites are not reservable.
Limit 10 people per campsite.
$15 per night per site.
Two vehicles per site.
A sand tent pad is provided for approximately 2 tents.

Group Campsites
The campground has 7 group campsites which are available through reservation.
10 to 15 people per site.
$40 per night per site.
Up to eight vehicles per site.
Each site has about 12 areas for tents.
Not a day use area. At least 10 campers must be spending the night.
Each group site has about 12 areas for tents, some of which can fit 2 small tents.
Check in required
Commercial groups require additional permitting
Reservations made on recreation.gov

Source - ( blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/bl…)

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Can not advertise publicly like this, man. Wish it were not so. Lots of rules and regs surrounding the RR group sites.

Thanks, Bill. Can you offer any additional information or web resources showing why people can't PM me so we can hit adequate group size to reserve a spot here?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Huh. I didn't realize the Black Lives Matter movement had a campsite.

climbnowworklater · · Colorado Springs · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

Andy, forget what Bill is saying. Even if he is right, c'mon, what are they gonna do, kick you off MP? Wait there for you and fine you? Beat you up? Ban you from all BLM land for life? Haha, forget about it, Bill is just playing "round the clock cop"...and that sucks. I'll remember Bill Lawry: stick in the mud and all around tattle tale. There are issues that warrant dialogue, this isn't one of them. With all due respect of course.

Andy Casler wrote:Thanks, Bill. Can you offer any additional information or web resources showing why people can't PM me so we can hit adequate group size to reserve a spot here?
Hi, Andy.

Not being snarky here - but the best resource is just to call them and ask ... anonymously if desired. And the BLM's online site might have more detail than when I tried for a group site.

My experience involved a time when I actually reserved an RR BLM group site a couple years ago - the paperwork you have to sign is amazingly thorough. And it specifically includes acknowledging that you can't have and won't publicly advertised for site-mates (pretty much those words). Other stuff is prohibited too, like disallowing schools or guides to organize for a group site.

To be honest, I don't know to what degree this is actually enforced / independently check. I do recall someone else posting of an incident where the "public" aspect of their reservation was casually mentioned in a conversation with a BLM representative which initiated a conversation involving words like "felony" ... and the reservation was dropped.

I guess my shying away from going this "public" route is that I'd rather not have any possibility of negative ramifications should it become an issue while actually there. It wouldn't take much ... a BLM person stumbling across a forum with advertisement, dates, individual names (at least user names), etc..

And, yes climbnowworklater, the sky is falling. :-)

Edit to add: I looked over the current recreation.gov site. It doesn't identify anything as stringent as my experience. Unfortunately, I suspect what one has to sign for is.

Thanks for your reply! Since they're not discussing that restriction on the website, it sounds like I'm probably OK to just say that we have 6-7 people in the group, and if anyone else wants to join us, and reduce their camping expenses, PM me.

The group sites offer a ton of room for tents, huge pavilions to cook and hangout under, and tap water at the site!

AliciaC · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 30

I was just at RR a few weeks ago and had reserved a group site with my friends. We had a couple people cancel last minute so we only had 6 people at our group site. No one seemed to care, the camp host never came up to check to make sure we met the 10 person minimum or anything. But I was there in a not super busy season, may be different these days

It may not work to tell them in advance that the quota of 10 isn't met. I tried ...

I had the reservation months in advance. And, about a week out, I called to say we had between 7 and 9 for most nights. I didn't offer to cancel. But the person said she was going to cancel it. We instead managed to snag a couple individual sites via one of us who came days earlier.

I have also heard that there may be some "give" if you arrive and have unexpected cancellations that take you below 10 for a night here and there. Don't know where the limit is.

Site is reserved, and we'll have extra room! PM me if you're interesting in camping for ~$4 per night

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "BLM campground group site - Dec. 17 to 22"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started