Mountain Project Logo

Trap Dyke Current Conditions

Original Post
Josiah Ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 19

Hey folks,

Has anyone been up the Trap Dyke lately? Or up in the High Peaks near there? I'm headed down to the Adirondacks this weekend and was hoping to get up the Trap Dyke, but just worried its too late in the season and there'd be ice on the Upper Slabs. Think it would be too risky? Is it possible/ reasonable to bail or descend if its too icy?

Thanks!

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

It's supposed to turn sharply colder by the weekend so I would expect at least some ice.

DanSwift · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

I saw what looked like ice on the dix slides yesterday

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Overnight lows in Lk Placid are predicted to be mid 20s this w/e. That's low 20's on the Colden slide. So, yea, there should be a layer of ice up there.

Adam Gellman · · Bellingham WA/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 261

Not sure about the conditions(my gut says it could be bad), but definitely no great way to descend should you run into bad conditions on the slab. The steps lower down in the dyke cannot be descended safely without a rope.

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I was on the Colden slide a couple of weeks ago in the rain and it was sketchy. It would be mad sketchy with any ice.

Jon Zorella · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

Just had a look at the slides from the loj road and they were glistening in the sun. I would imagine a thin layer of ice. Calling for snow and cold temps tomorrow come Saturday I would imagine dust on crust up their scary stuff. I do have a light rope with me and some slings for trees would be an adventure for sure. Worst case bail and go grab a beer

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Trap Dyke Current Conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started