Mountain Project Logo

Camp 4 Lore

Original Post
Db5504 · · Shippensburg, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 951

So, I've been given the opportunity to do a project on the culture of climbing, particularly of Camp 4 in Yosemite. I was hoping the good people of Mountain Project might be able to help me in finding some good stories, myths, or history of the legends of Camp 4, and other various climbing communities of the country (dirtbaggers, the Vulgarians, etc.). Credit will be given in the project to the poster/website where any information is given.

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

I would post up on SuperTopo

Db5504 · · Shippensburg, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 951

Just getting ready to post there. Thanks though!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Read "Camp 4" by Steve Roper.

amazon.com/Camp-4-Recollect…

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Barrett Pauer wrote:I would post up on SuperTopo
Yes that would be your best bet..... not to many folks who were in C4 back in the day frequent this place.... because sooooooooooooooo many of those guys can't climb or will not climb anymore.

Frame your questions in a political nature and some of the most worthless guys- with the biggest blowhard attitudes will jump on it and let you know that your not worthy.

One story... once upon a time you could drive your vehicle into C4, or push it or have AAA towing drop it off for you..... this made for a whole row of vans and big pick up trucks with campers that would stay there all year and never move... just as long as the .35/day fee was paid it was cool.....

Try that now.
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

discover the lore of whether it was kauk or bachar, who they are sending midnight lightning, and mystique was for some time that no one else could be doing it except one of them or both of them, for it was so difficult and they were yes so spectacular. Adding to mystique was that one of them would hide in the bushes and wait for people to struggle on it, and then casually come down and chuck a lap, thus defining the entire appeal of the sport of climbing for generations to come, ho ho!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Camp 4 Lore"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started