Mountain Project Logo

Building a pegboard, suggestions?

Original Post
Jimmy S. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'm thinking about building a pegboard and was wondering if anyone had any advice on some of the dimensions for it.

Pete Krzanowsky · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 670

For storing/hanging gear?

If so, I built one this spring. I think the pegboards I found at Home Depot were 2 ft by 4 ft. I got two of them. I bought some wood to make a frame around the backside of the pegboards and down the center of the two pieces to make a 4 by 4 square. I was able to nail the pegboard to the frame with some fairly small nails. Once the frame was attached to the pegboard, I mounted it to an interior wall of the house with toggle bolts. It went up easy and can hold quite a bit. I think the wood used for the frame was in the 3/4 inch size. Not big by any means.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Are you trolling him, he means the high school gym style peg board used for upper body training. This is a climbing forum after all, interesting how ennammered some people are with 'displaying' their climbing gear.

Ian Cavanaugh · · Ketchum, ID · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 620

dont

Not a troll. I just figured it was for gear storage.

And its not for display...trying to use what space I have in the house as efficiently as possible.

Jimmy S. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Not a gear storage peg board but thanks

Chris Charron · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 5

Rogue fitness makes one, you could probably copy their dimensions.
Rogue fitness Peg Board

I personally would use some wood from Habitat for humanity because its cheap (seconduse.com in seattle is great)

As far as the other type goes, I built one, it stores my gear well, keeps it clean and dry and makes packing for a specific trip really easy and convenient (mostly glacier or alpine type climbs)

Thanks Chris. That's more or less what I built...and for the same reasons.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Sorry Pete, I am conditioned to the numerous posts on r/climbing showing off their climbing gear displays. I understand the enthusiasm of those posts to an extent, I remember how excited I was when I first got my own climbing gear, after a few of them though they all sound about the same. I too have a pegboard at my house for storing tools, I can see the appeal for gear. To the OP it seems their are numerous how to's online. Basically choose your pattern and drill 1 1/4'' holes in the thickest price of wood you can find. A doubled up 2x12 or 2x10 would probably work fine.

DrRockso....no worries! I took it really literal....the OP's question. I just figured a pegboard for gear. It's all good...and it's Friday...almost time to get out of work!

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

Are these things just fun for the cross-fit crowd, or is there a climbing-related benefit to training on a pegboard that is distinct from using a more traditional campus board?

Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
John Badila wrote:Are these things just fun for the cross-fit crowd, or is there a climbing-related benefit to training on a pegboard that is distinct from using a more traditional campus board?
To me the campus board is more of a power training tool, though you can gain strength from campusing. The pegboard is fantastic for upper body pulling/lockoff strength. Look up Cafe Kraft and Alex Megos training videos. Also, Gimme Kraft is an excellent climbing training book.
Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Need serious hardwood or the peg and hole wear out allowing slip. A local xfit gym had softwood pegboard that did crap out. Grade school in the 80s had metal pegs and metal rings inset in the board.

Reinaldo Filho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Building a pegboard, suggestions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started