Mountain Project Logo

Sharing cams and climbing equipment

Original Post
outthereinit · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

How do you guys normally find people to share cams or other gear with? Is it difficult to share with other climbers? What's the best way to find someone, for example, that has 2 #6s or 5 #1s? Do you share ropes as well?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I find climbers share well at gunpoint.

My regular partners are more than willing to share their gear. Usually one brings the rack and one brings the rope.

gavinsmith · · Toronto, Ontario · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 86

I'll let people I trust borrow most things, less so the ropes, as long as I won't be needing them at the same time. These are people I would trust to tell me if something happened to a piece of gear and replace anything that goes missing, unprompted.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
gavinsmith wrote:I'll let people I trust borrow most things, less so the ropes, as long as I won't be needing them at the same time. These are people I would trust to tell me if something happened to a piece of gear and replace anything that goes missing, unprompted.
Yep^^
Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

Find climbing partner's that also have gear. Climb with those people. Eventually if the trust develops they may let you borrow some to climb with others.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

My partner and I will take one of our racks and then augment i with gear from the other, depending on what we think we need and what we want to carry. When climbing on another rack, I will always grab some of my hexes and small cams if my partner does not normally rack them.

If a friend is headed out and I am not, I can loan some gear, but it does not happen that often, and other than a specialty piece or two, I would not borrow any one elses gear.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sharing cams and climbing equipment"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started