Mountain Project Logo

Trail Cam at Dead Snag

Original Post
Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

I know this might not go over well with some people but I am interested to hear what people think. I truly believe that if we were to place a trail cam at the base of Steort's for a short period of time, maybe 2-4 weeks, we would be sure to catch someone either stealing things from backpacks or trying to steal something from backpacks. I know an easy answer is to not leave anything valuable in your pack but wouldn't it be nice to catch the person(s) who has been making a habit of stealing stuff from this area?

climberkalen · · kern county, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 66

Use a cheapo cellphone with GPS, hide it in a cheapo Walmart pack...as soon as the pack is gone,track the phone. I had something similar going on here in the lower Kern.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Some guys in North Vancouver setup trail cams to catch someone booty (I mean booby) trapping the MTB trails. It worked well. The injuries stopped. Good luck, it works!

Jim Garrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0
Bill Kirby wrote:catch someone booty trapping
What is "booty trapping"? That's a new one for me, but I can't keep up with all the new things you crazy kids do.
Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156
JimG wrote: What is "booty trapping"? That's a new one for me, but I can't keep up with all the new things you crazy kids do.
haha I think he means "booby trap"
john greer · · modesto · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 110
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Spell check must be G rated :) typing booby the words boo, booty, boo by came up haha.. I thought I had it right. Damn yo!

Jack Daniels · · SANDY, UTAH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 40

I Know that Unified police department uses trail cams in highly trafficked areas in little cottonwood canyon.

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
John Greer Jr. wrote: youtube.com/watch?v=h9uBy2J…
hahahaha yes! That's the first thing I thought of too.
Garret Nuzzo Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,436
Spencer Daniels wrote:I Know that Unified police department uses trail cams in highly trafficked areas in little cottonwood canyon.
They have put them up in all of the various parking lots in the cottonwoods. Doesn't seem to have affected the crime rate in the parking areas.

It's super frustrating but the best defense is to never bring valuables with you in the tri-canyon area. It might be National Forest but it's still very high crime.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Trail Cam at Dead Snag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started